Pflueger Medalist # 1495...

Started by cdaline, March 09, 2019, 03:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaline

Not sure if this is the sharing sub-forum but here goes... Years ago my Father-in-law (deceased) gave
me his Pflueger Medalist #1495 (Akron) with cork arbor. I finally got around to servicing it... was
missing the click pawl and spring (replaced with same provided by onepfoot.com). Converted from
right to left hand crank. Achieved the desired 16 click : 4 click ratio.  Cleaned, serviced, greased and
oiled. Now a smooth operator. I will replace the backing and line and put into service. The internet
seems to indicate this is circa 59' - 65". Looking forward to fishing this 60 year old reel.

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/4UG08cx

Midway Tommy

Those are good old reels, a lot of people still fish them regularly.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Jim Fujitani

Looks really nice!

Just a few questions, since I haven't back grounded my Pflueger Medalists too much.  I haven't used them much in the past 30 years.  Did the cork arbor come off in two pieces?  I have an older 1495 (the sculpted posts) that did not have a cork arbor when I came across it. 
I assume the change-over was necessitated because you reel left handed, but do you cast right handed?  You did well retaining the click ratcheting.   
I learned to cast and fly fish from books and pamphlets as a teenager.  I left my equipment original for the first few purchases.  I didn't know that they could be changed over, some manufacturers more easily than others.  I later gained experience casting on north coast rivers.  The recommendation was for right handed casters was to reel right handed also, so the protruding handle is less an obstruction for the double haul when casting shooting heads.

Good Luck using your reel.  You'll be carrying the spirit of your Father-in-law on your trips.

cdaline

Thanks Tommy.... it meant a lot to my bride that I got this one working again. I am proud to
use it.

Jim... I will defer to the experts here as to the cork arbor ... (I have a Pflueger Medalist 1496 1/2
without the cork). I do notice that I cannot see a seam. As to right hand cast left hand retrieve I
believe it is user preference...it was the way I learned (Garcia Mitchell 300, 304's etc. open faced
spinners) so it seemed the most natural. When I try to use a right hand crank fly rod I get all "clumsy".
My Father - in -law was right hand dominant on all his gear.... would not buy left hand retrieve
tackle.

Charles

cdaline

I think I found an acceptable rod for my Vintage Pflueger Medalist reel. Today at
estate sale... newer (age unknown) Pflueger Medalist 9', 5 wt. line, graphite, two piece
fly rod with case. Made in China. Probably not especially valuable ... I gave $40 (I
thought a reasonable deal). Appears this was rod was never used...mint condition.
It will now be used.

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/fLivDM7