Building jigmaster 500 spacer bar questions

Started by Chuck, March 09, 2019, 05:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Keep at it Chuck, it will be extremely satisfying if you succeed.

Chuck

No worries Sal, I did not take it the wrong way, merely saying that I'll orobably end up getting a frame since I can't make one but just wanted to tinker around since I'm new to these reels. Got a chuck of stainless laying around I'll probably play with too.

Also I happened across a simple way to etch aluminum so I decided to try it. Would work way better with computer designed stencil/sticker but with good ole electrical tape and a razor blade I think this turned out ok.

Chuck

This was my 'will this even work' trial piece.

sundancer

Quote from: Chuck on March 20, 2019, 05:20:03 AM
'...I happened across a simple way to etch aluminum so I decided to try it. Would work way better with computer designed stencil/sticker but with good ole electrical tape and a razor blade I think this turned out ok...'

Chuck

looks good for a first try.  how permanent is it?

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Chuck

It's etched so it eats away the material, very permanent. Only way to get rid of it would be to grind it down

Dominick

What did you use for the etching?  I'm surmising that you covered the piece with electrical tape and used some kind of acid to etch.  Correct?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Looks good.
I tried a while back using a battery charger, vinegar and salt.
I was very happy with the way it turned out, but mine wasn't aluminum.

I'm guessing the same was used here.
A battery charger at low voltage, a positive charge on the part and a negative on  a q-tip resting on metal.

Lots of info on the internet, there is also dipping process.

Nice and very durable.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Gracie professore geniale.  I looked up etching on Youtube.  Pretty easy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Chuck

That's exactly what I used Sal. I tried it with a nail polish coat and draw whatever you want and a lay electrical tape over it and cut out what you want to be etched method