1/0 2/0 3/0

Started by milne, March 09, 2019, 08:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi guys,
             The Senator range 1/0 thru 3/0, I've read up as much as I can about them.
      But what actually makes these smaller reels 1st generation ?
   Can someone actually clarify for me the 1st generation characteristics, I'm confused on these Senators.
I have one coming, it's a no part number reel, and am looking at adding to my Senator collection but want to get it right.

Cheers in advance

Col

Bill B

I'm sure others will chime in, but the smaller Senators were all in the first generation configuration, meaning the when you look at the handle side plate the gear box is at 5 o'clock. 

With no part numbers showing, we can assume it was built 1951 or earlier.  Penn started using part numbers after WW II, and depleted all old stock before producing reels with part numbers. Occasionally you will find a reel with numbered and non-numbered parts.  This could be a transition reel or a repaired reel. 

The larger reels, from 9/0 (and maybe the 6/0) and larger will have the gear box at either 5 or 7 o'clock, indicating 1st or 2nd generation. 

I still haven't found Mike C's Penn books since moving, so I'm just going off the top of my pointed head.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

milne

Hi Bill,  Firstly my apologies for missing your reply, don't know how I missed that Sorry.
        Yes, I have a 1st gen 4-9 and 12 and recently picked up the little 1/0 with no part numbers, which is the first time I've held a 1/0,
     So I'm gradually collecting these illusive Senators.
  There are pretty slim pickings down under of those types of 1st gen Senators, but I shall be patient. I recently put up a couple of Pre war knuckle busters
  as a bit of trade "bait" in the for sale section, so to speak, to see if that would entice someone to blow off the dust of one spare sitting around.
And now the bug has well and truly hit me , with a few "projects" underway pimping a few Penns up to actually fish with.
Thanks for your reply Bill, I shall wait and see what comes up.

Col

Donnyboat

Good on you Col, you on to it, just leave a few around for us, there hard to find in Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Hi Don,   Yes, we are at a bit of a disadvantage being way down under sometimes,  it makes it a bit of a challenge at times.
        Don, I was admiring your boat pictures on another thread only yesterday,  very nice Sir. Mine is a wee bit smaller than yours, although I do push it
  to the limits I must admit.  Would luv to fish over your side of the big Island one day, have had plenty of friends rave about exmouth as a fishing destination,  hopefully one day.

Regards
Col

Donnyboat

Thanks Col, the sharks got the best of the wife & I @ Exmouth, if your fishing deep, thats why I brought the electric reel for the wife, you know that exmouth is about 1100Kms North of Perth, I do more fishing @ Cervantee & Geraldton, these Days, also you can have alot of fun @ Quobba, just north of Canarvon, baloon fishing, let me know when your heading West, we may be able to get together, and have a trip out, My boat is out of action for a few weeks, a car side swiped me the other day, it hit my roo bar then the rear view mirror cannoned into the drivers window, smashing that, then collected the boat, knocking a hole through the fibre glass, then the driver done a runner on me, but the police caught up with hime 2 Days later, luckely a witness came forward, & said that I was on the correct side of the road, so I have had the landcruiser fixed, still waiting for the okay from the insurance company to give the go ahead for the boat to be fixed, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Good to hear they fixed your cruiser Don, hope they come to the party with the boat repairs and structural assessment as well.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Yes Mike thanks, also I was looking @ mystic, for the screws that fit inside the inner rings, in the black, 111, 2/0 or 3/0, it came up with, that they are know longer available, so what is the best option there, I am trying to get the gear for the 3/0 plates that Mike currie, kindly gave me, I also have to get the 4 chrome rings, and a pinion. I managed to make up a red plate 3/0 last week, a chap in the West here gave me 2/3rds of the 3/0, it now looks a million dollars, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

By the way, the red plate 3/0 that I just finished, I managed to buy a jigmaster 500, for AU$40.00 including postage, I used the main gear & pinion from the 500, I already had some screws for it, so now it is 4 to 1 ratio, with CF washers as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat