270 drag removal and other q's i aint thought of yet!

Started by nagant, March 09, 2019, 11:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

These pic's are just the way it came. Am i missing (1)100-084 metal, and (1) 100-085 resitex washers on axle under spool?  And hows the best way to remove the snap ring on the face of the spool, not really a snap ring as it doesn't have holes for ring pliers.  I never took a spool apart and not sure of how they work. this seems to be the 2 piece spool with 4 screws on under side.  The drag works now but go's from all stop to easy in under half a turn of the drag knob. Any help appreciated.  Will order some cal"s drag grease. things i see missing, black center on drag knob,   no washer on crank arm (looks like i need 2 per schematic), Lots of end play on crank handle grip but don't see a washer for that.
Brice

nagant

here's the main pic's,sorry
Brice

foakes

Unless there is an issue — the spool doesn't need to come apart.

The snap ring can be easily removed with an old, dull, pocketknife.

Drags can be added to improve the performance through light drag to full lockdown.

Yes, you are missing two washers under the spool — resistex and brass.

If there are parts you need — just make me a laundry list — then PM me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

Thanks Fred, inside of the reel is was you see all the time, nasty! But the gears are so smooth the crank handle gravity rolls to bottom every time!
Brice

nagant

Took grandson out to practice open bail casting plus mounted the super on a 8 ft catfish rod loaded with 15lb mono.  He used my old quantum  on a St Croix rod and did pretty well.  The super is a blast!  With only a 3/4 ounce sinker it casts about half the spool, forgot about the line counter. Mississippi river is way high with some ice yet.  Will try for northern pike in the backwaters this week with an 8 inch dead chub under a float. 
Brice

nagant

Tried walleye fishing today, no joy. but did have a 4 minute fight with something big i lost. Reel was great but the drag was kinda choppy, couldn't engage it as much as i needed. Any fix's for that? Should i grease the  stock drag washer?
Brice

foakes

Won't do any good to grease the stock washer/washers (hard resistex) — actually just the opposite — they will be smooth — but will not engage. 

Sort of like water or oil on vehicle drum brakes.

The only drags to grease with Cal's — would be CF's or HT-100's.  I work the grease into the weave or pattern.

If I am using a vintage leather washer in a DQ Microlite — I will work in (2) drops of syn oil, top and bottom to the leather.  Much like oiling a baseball glove — all is smoother and longer lasting.

If using the spool you mention — the best thing to do is make sure the drag disks/disk are smooth as glass.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That particular 270 spool is an anomaly indeed. One single metal drag washer...rubbing directly against a metal spool...it's like something Red Green would design. Try putting a fiber washer of some sort between the keyed metal washer and the spool. It made a big difference on my 270. Read this thread:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20704.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nagant

Thanks mo that helps and reminded me my reel didn't have those 2 washers under the spool. Forgot i cobbled one out of a gallon oil jug to take the end play out of the spool. I now have a stash of washers from scrapped cheapo reels and see if i cant make do. It was so cold and windy today i went back to my  shimano MLX 300 quikfire to keep my left hand drier.
Brice

mo65

Quote from: nagant on April 12, 2019, 05:10:19 PM
Thanks mo that helps and reminded me my reel didn't have those 2 washers under the spool.

Yes, those two Fred mentioned are a must have, not only for a smooth drag but also to keep the line lay on the spool nice and even.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nagant

I tool the keyed washer off the front of the spool and nothing underneath it so followed Mo's fix and trimmed a fiber washer and it works on the bench :)  Pulsed a little at first but i think that is my trim job, but it's almost gone after pulling line out a few times.  Before the drag would crank itself down but now it doesn't and has a decent range for what it is.   Thanks , i need all the help i can get!
Brice