OKUMA spinning reel CS 401R

Started by Donnyboat, March 10, 2019, 04:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one hope your all keeping well & catching fish, the above Okuma spinning reel, I had given to me, I have surched for the schematics with know luck through OKuma, & also mikes reel repares, wood be greatful if anyone could help me out with them, also some info on how to get into the reel, on the front of the spool, there is a press button, also I can turn the plate outside the button, but when I get it loose, it does not come right of, & I cant get the spool of, thanks & cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

guessing it's one of those disposable reels Okuma OEM's for someone else,
then completely washes their hands of it -- ZERO SUPPORT
( maybe, Stratus CS-40 for Dick's Sporting Goods ??? )

if so, best you can do is figure out which standard Okuma model is close
& hope/pray the schematic & parts are compatible

Tiddlerbasher

Never seen one - but Okuma budget reels don't vary much. It sounds like a rear drag (YUK!). To remove spool press button simultaneously pull the spool. Fiddling with the bezel around the button don't do squat ;) Underneath you should find a nut (usually locked in place with a screw). Remove screw then the nut (probably lh thread) - then pull off rotor. This should give you access to a screw(s). The real tricky bit is the rear drag. I have never found a neat way to get at this. The rubber drag grip is usually glued on after assembly. It has to come off (someway :-\) I have levered them and cut them off - neither is particularly elegant and will require gluing to re-assemble. Once its off there will be a screw(s) or similar - remove. Unscrew the handle and remove it. If all the screws are out the two halves of the body should now pull apart. I've done a few of these they didn't vary much. If what I have described sounds similar to yours - get a schematic for an Okuma Zeon RD (rear drag) 40 size - it will give you a good idea of what you are going to find. The rear drag is pitifully small - 10-20mm diameter drag washers and fiddly but not impossible. I will NEVER EVER bother to service another one. After all they are a budget throw away reel.

Donnyboat

Thanks men, Chris your instructions are coming through loud & clear, I have looked at the okuma sight several times, there is nothing that looks even close to it, but I will follow up the Zeon RD 40, yes it is a rear drag, I have tried to pull the spool as I press the button, the spool must be rusted on, As when I started the rotor would not turn @ all, but is freeing up now, so hard to get any auto trans oil in to it, until I get the spool of, thanks again, now go catch some fish, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Don, if it's that bad bin it. There are more important things in life. It's a rubbish reel ;)

Donnyboat

Thanks Chris, you are possibly right, but I would like to get it apart, & see what the rest of the internals are like, I can get bearings not far from our place, there generally not to dear, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Don, the bezel (around the spool button) that you were originally playing with - try twisting/rotating it clockwise many times - until it wont turn anymore. Then try pushing the button and pulling the spool. I seem to remember (iirc) a similar problem many moons ago (and that was an Okuma rear drag)

Donnyboat

Gee wizz Chris, your hanging in with me, thanks so much, I did try that, I have managed to poke a needle under the spool cover, & sckirted some auto transmission oil in to it, I did not use acatone with it, as I was not sure if the is any plastic there, I will keep adding, the oil for a few more days, then have another go at it, thanks again Chris, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat