Early Ocean City Freespool How to disassemble?

Started by rfkca, March 10, 2019, 06:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkca

Hi,

I purchased this Early Ocean City Freespool  reel on EBay for about $5, plus shipping, to use this as a practice reel. I want to learn proper restoration techniques for German Silver that I will later apply to an identical reel that is in much better condition.

I haven't figured out how to disassemble the reel. I started by removing the post screws on each side of the reel, removing the handle and the eccentric lever screw.

The hard rubber side plates did not detach from the frame. I decided to soak the reel in vinegar to remove some of the years of oxidation and crud build up, hooping this would also separate the rubber end plates from the frame. 

Soaked overnight. No progress on nuts or screws loosening up enough to remove. Sideplate screw budged a little but is beginning to strip at slot under increased pressure. Had to stop trying for fear of breaking off the head.

Any thoughts on how to complete the disassembly? I have held off soaking the reel in anything stronger than diluted vinegar for lack of knowledge of what could happen to the rubber sideplates.

Thanks

Rich

rfkca

The vinegar is doing a fine job on oxidation but has not helped free up nuts and crews. Also tired penetrating spray.

oldmanjoe

Looks like you have all the side pate screws out , and should fall apart .
Try tapping the rings with rubber or wooden handle to loosen them up.
You need the rite size screw driver for the bridge screws , and there is a nut you could warm up if need be
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

rfkca

Thank you OMJ,

I don't think the pix you posted are of the same reel. I don't see post holes in your right side ring plate, my reel has three plus 3 stand screw holes.. Also , where on the reel is bolt/nut you showed positioned? I don't seem to have a similar piece of hardware.

oldmanjoe

Basically the same family , mine is newer by a few years.
The picture was to show you that the bridge screws are not threaded in the bridge plate, but in shoulder nuts.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Rich, once you took the screws out the reel should have come apart.  The spool is probably rusted on both ends.  What I would try is just tap out the posts.  Then gently twist both sides to loosen up the rust.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rfkca

Thank you Dom,

I am concerned that the posts may be threaded into the inner rings on one side or another but I don't see any evidence of that. I was surprised when the posts and the stand did not budge from the inner rings when all side plate screws were removed. I'll try tapping again.

Tightlines667

Some of the Early OC reels had a frame that is brased or riveted to the stand.  The safe bet might be to remove the sideplates from their rings with gentle prying around their perimeter.  Chances are the posts are not threaded to the rings, and the stand is not permanently affixed yo the stand, but it might be best to play it safe and remove the sideplates from the rings to be certain.  An overnight soak in vinegar might be in order first.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

I generally just start at the bottom of the reel where the rubber sideplates are up against the rings.

Set the reel on a solid surface — but nested in a folded up old towel.

Using a dull pocket knife — just set the blade between the ring and side plate — and do some small taps with a hammer — working your way around — a little at a time — it will come off with no issues.

Patience is important — but you have already soaked it in vinegar — so the next direct step is called for.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rfkca

Fred and John,

You were so very correct. Thank you.

After reading a post by Mike C on another site, I noticed Mike had disassembled the same reel and his photos showed that the frame posts, rings and reel stand are a single unit. The posts and stand are permanently attached to the rings. Seeing this, I decided not to tap or otherwise persuade the frame. Before you chimed in Fred and John, I recalled seeing a post on this site by Alan where he separated Penn sideplates from their beauty rings by using the edge of a pen knife. I thought that this would be less invasive than applying hammers etc.

It worked! Gradually, 90 plus years of the union between hard rubber and the German silver frame rings was coming to an end!

I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the interior. I noticed the distinct absence of blue Penn reel grease on the bridge, gears etc. Then I remembered this reel was likely built before Otto had even started work at Ocean City in Philadelphia.    :)

The clicker button was seized from a minor amount rust interfering with its sideways movement. A few shots of penetrating oil, some picking at the rust and a gentle whack from a small screwdriver and it was performing it's simple function again.

Thank you for your advice,

Rich

rfkca

The handle side plate will need several passes with polish and wool but it will return to a luster it once had.

Meanwhile the frame and spool will soak overnight in vinegar.

foakes

Good work!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Nice to see an old forgotten reel come back to life that is older than most any of us on this site (except Dominick).

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on March 12, 2019, 02:12:13 PM
Good work!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Nice to see an old forgotten reel come back to life that is older than most any of us on this site (except Dominick).

Best,

Fred
You may be right.  :D What year was that reel made?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rfkca

Finished the reel ! Spent a good 3 hours cleaning and polishing metal parts and reassembling.
Now I'll start working on an earlier version of the same model.

Thanks for your help.

foakes

Beautiful work on that Erman Silver and those rubber sideplates.

Looks like you know what you are about!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.