Took apart my Daiwa 203L, and now the anti-reverse is opposite.

Started by soje, March 11, 2019, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soje

I questioned my knowledge, and then my common sense, then my sanity. I've taken apart and rebuilt many reels from many manufacturers. I understand how anti-reverse works, and am familiar with how one end/side of the beating is rounded or tapered, so it is obvious which way it fits in the side plate. Well, I wasn't paying attention to it when I was taking this Luna 203L apart, because there's nothing to it. When I went to put it back together, I noticed that the anti-reverse bearing was spinning the wrong way. I can't crank this reel forward. I've looked at this thing for hours, and I know I'm not crazy. WTH. How did this happen? The only thing I can imagine is that the bearing could have been forced in backwards. Even if that were the case, I would have noticed, because it would have been extremely difficult to remove. It would probably damage something if I were to force it in the wrong way. I also thought, maybe these are special bearings, where you can somehow change the direction of the motion. In looking at the inside of the bearing, I don't think that's a possibility either.

This is crazy. Anyone know what's going on with this thing.

exp2000

Yep, that's why I hate left Hand reels.

You need to assemble them with a mirror?

The tapered side works for Right Hand reels.

You have to switch it for lefties.

There should be nothing stopping you from doing this as the outer dimensions should be consistent.
~

Keta

As far as I know they do not make LH AR bearings and it sounds like the AR bearing was installed for a RH reel.  Press it out and reverse it. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

soje

Thanks guys. I've found some posts from people having the same issue. I guess I'm gonna have to force it in backwards. Seems weird that they wouldn't round both sides of it. It's definitely meant to only go in one way.

Bryan Young

Many AR bearing slide in forward or reverse. That is probably why you didn't notice it.  Just flip the bearing and uou'll Be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D