HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A REEL IN SUCH CONDITION?

Started by Cor, March 11, 2019, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Friend asked me if I would mag one of his reels...... I agreed, but knowing him told him "only if it is clean"

Have you ever seen a reel so filthy and in such a condition?

This guy fishes nearly as much as I do.   My stuff looks used and even worn but neglected and filthy, no ways!

I feel a bit insulted and next time Ill refuse to help him out, or charge him to clean the reel first.
Cornelis

exp2000

Yeah, I get the odd one like that.

Full of last years sand and the like.

Once I got a bait-runner with barnacles growing in it.

When he came to pick it up, the guy told me he found the reel in the tidal zone at Eighty Mile beach!

Doh!
~

Long Enuff

mhc

I occasionally do a few reels for friends as a favour and have had one or two full of nasty stuff inside but haven't seen one so neglected externally. The owner is obviously not concerned with the appearance of the reel so I'd just give it a quick dip or spray with whatever degreaser you have so you can work on magging it. It depends on how good a friend he is but it probably needs a bit of a service as well  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cor

Quote from: Long Enuff on March 11, 2019, 12:41:47 PM
My favorite:

I Can live with the corrosion, but this thing is just covered in grime, like it has never been rinsed of or cleaned.
Cornelis

Zimbass

Had some like that too Corne. Felt like telling the owner to go somewhere else, but, the reel needed love, and could not leave it to die. It's not about the friend/customer, sometimes it's about the reel !!

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Aiala

Some time ago I had fun turning this:

into this:

Most satisfying!  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Donnyboat

Thats a great job you done with the Senator Lannie, we have had the pleasure of viewing some of you work before, second to none, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Quote from: Aiala on March 11, 2019, 02:37:23 PM

into this:

Most satisfying!  :D

~A~

Great job, but would you do that free and gratis for a friend, knowing that in 3 month time it will again be a mess?
What you've done here is a labour of love!
Cornelis

mo65

Fishin' reels are like trucks. One guy washes his every time a speck of mud hits it...the next guy has to clear out a spot to sit when he crawls in it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: Aiala on March 11, 2019, 02:37:23 PM

into this:

Most satisfying!  :D

~A~

Hi A, where you been hiding? :)

I recall that build- like the ax on its third head and fifth handle :)

foakes

You are enabling him to continue his poor reel care by agreeing to mag and restore his filthy reel, Cor...

Everyone is different in how they approach things — if you continue servicing, magging, and rebuilding his good reels turned to junk — he will never know or learn the difference.

This is not fair to him, or you.

If this situation were on my bench — I would do one of (2) things:

Let him know right now, that the reel is not worth magging and servicing — it is too far gone in the condition he has allowed it to get to.  And that you would be glad to mag a replacement reel, if he wants to buy one.

Or, do your magic on it (we all on Alan's site can turn crud into gold) — then present him a bill for $200.

Then, add the mag cost, and knock off $50 for a "friend" discount from the total bill.

If he says — well I could buy another new one for that much...just say, yeah, good idea...

Sometimes — we just need to be brutally honest with our friends and clients — no other way, IMO.

It is not friendship, or even close to fair — that you should waste your time and experience by not telling this guy the truth (which honestly, he already knows — he is just hoping you will clean up his cruddy reel) — and you will get the reel back in the same bad condition in a year or two, anyway...then how stupid will you feel?  I speak from experience...friendship is not a one-way street.

As to Aiala's reel, John — as long as one part is original — it is a restore.  In Aiala's case — it appears that the dog spring is original...😅😅😅

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on March 11, 2019, 04:57:36 PM
As to Aiala's reel, John — as long as one part is original — it is a restore.  In Aiala's case — it appears that the dog spring is original...😅😅😅

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk...  ;D

True, most (not all) of the externals were replaced... but as often happens with these (supposed) wrecks, the internals were actually in excellent shape, though coated with what looked like ossified axle grease. Nothing a days-long soak in Simple Green wouldn't cure. (However, Fred, I did replace the dog spring...  )

As to where I've been, John, mostly at the gun range and collecting more firearms...   Even got my CCW! 

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Fred, I bleeve you are correct. The old-skool maroon plates, amber knob with pink Ande is a favorite, but all of Lady A's builds are sweet (hint: we haven't seen one from you in a while :) ...i would only like it better if i could find a vintage bulk spool of Stren Gold in 50lb test.

My two nastiest reclamations, without major structural part replacement:

First, an Abu Eon 6 series i bought on a St Croix rod for $20. Had I known it had dead baby roaches in it, I would have just kept the rod and dumped the reel. Amazingly the free spool wasnt bad even with the pestilence inside. I quickly threw the whole reel in simple green and washed my hands....if the Green ate it, so be it...but actually it cleaned up really nicely.

2, a SLOSH30 my cousin reeled up off the pier (Tsunami rod was also refurbished). I was amazed the barnacles actually came cleanly off the graphite. I replaced a bearing and added carbontex drag, with a handle I found on Alan's garage floor. Back in bidness.

thorhammer

Cor, to your original input: Fred has a point, I recently serviced and repaired some neglected (i.e., not rinsed like what you have there) some Penns for a friend...got them back two months later to fix something else or other...and they had corrosion again from neglect...I made my feelings clear on  the subject simple rinse after a free service...

The prollem is, can common sense outweigh our will to take on a challenge that usually is not good sense, in terms of cost and time? For me as a hobbyist, no...I have no sense at all, and it's not the reels fault it gave it's all and was abused.  If you are in a business, then a different story, perhaps...

Aiaila, I figured you were blazing away in the desert!