HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A REEL IN SUCH CONDITION?

Started by Cor, March 11, 2019, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Good to hear from you Aiala.  My favorite someone posted several years ago was a reel with cockroaches in it.  Yuck.  We used to have to share our apartments with those disgusting insects when I lived in NY.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

I really enjoy a challenge. So to expand on Fred's psychotherapy, if it's a desirable reel I'd go ahead and restore back to as near new condition as I possibly can and when he comes to pick it up present him with a bill for parts & excessive time. At that point he'll get the point and if he refuses to pay I now have added a decent reel to my arsenal. There'e more than one way, they say, to skin a cat.  ;) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I'm usually pretty good at spottin' these kinda guys. He's obviously never going to open the reel...just tell him you magged the thing. Screw that side plate back on, dirt and all, done. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Quote from: mo65 on March 11, 2019, 06:19:20 PM
   I'm usually pretty good at spottin' these kinda guys. He's obviously never going to open the reel...just tell him you magged the thing. Screw that side plate back on, dirt and all, done. 8)

;D  Way to go Mo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cor

Quote from: mo65 on March 11, 2019, 06:19:20 PM
This was my original plan but changed my mind.

I've enjoyed reading all the opinions here, but am still seething...I'll feel better tomorrow. :-\

•   This chap is actually a friend and quite a nice guy and I think he just has a very very different standard of hygiene and cleanliness to me.
•   His sloppiness is known to me and some other close friends, that's why I asked him to only bring me a clean reel, in advance.
•   I would not have expected it to be clean inside, just outside where I need to touch it....ugh.   Could not get my screwdriver in the slots without scraping the crud of first.
•   In the same way as another mate goes overboard in meticulously cleaning and polishing stuff which will get used again tomorrow.   I would just rinse and wipe down and after tomorrow do the thorough cleaning job before packing away.
•   It's not an old reel and I suspect once cleaned and serviced it will still be fine, other then the make shift handle.
•   This reel is just covered in filth outside, fish blood and scales, greasy crud and mud and I don't know what all. Inside is old grease, sand and whatever unidentifiable dirt.

I've decided I'll service the reel completely and clean it as well and give him a report on its condition.  It will go back to him with an explanation that I will not do any work on reels in that condition in future.

Cornelis

CapeFish

Quote from: Cor on March 11, 2019, 11:55:38 AM
Friend asked me if I would mag one of his reels...... I agreed, but knowing him told him "only if it is clean"

Have you ever seen a reel so filthy and in such a condition?

This guy fishes nearly as much as I do.   My stuff looks used and even worn but neglected and filthy, no ways!

I feel a bit insulted and next time Ill refuse to help him out, or charge him to clean the reel first.

It looks like it is full of fish guts and slime! It seems to have amazingly little corrosion though. Classic handle he made loos like he cut up a kitchen chopping board for it. Is it still in good working order otherwise?

nelz

This thread reminds me of a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry's mechanic kidnaps his car because Jerry's been neglecting regular maintenance.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

basenjib123

Quote from: thorhammer on March 11, 2019, 05:37:07 PM
Fred, I bleeve you are correct. The old-skool maroon plates, amber knob with pink Ande is a favorite, but all of Lady A's builds are sweet (hint: we haven't seen one from you in a while :) ...i would only like it better if i could find a vintage bulk spool of Stren Gold in 50lb test.

My two nastiest reclamations, without major structural part replacement:

First, an Abu Eon 6 series i bought on a St Croix rod for $20. Had I known it had dead baby roaches in it, I would have just kept the rod and dumped the reel. Amazingly the free spool wasnt bad even with the pestilence inside. I quickly threw the whole reel in simple green and washed my hands....if the Green ate it, so be it...but actually it cleaned up really nicely.

2, a SLOSH30 my cousin reeled up off the pier (Tsunami rod was also refurbished). I was amazed the barnacles actually came cleanly off the graphite. I replaced a bearing and added carbontex drag, with a handle I found on Alan's garage floor. Back in bidness.

Those Eon's have enough problems when they in tip top shape,  never mind like that!

boon

That looks to be a Trinidad A, yes?

Very expensive reel to be letting it get like that. Guy obviously has no respect for his "tools".

Cor

Quote from: boon on March 14, 2019, 08:06:21 PM
That looks to be a Trinidad A, yes?

Very expensive reel to be letting it get like that. Guy obviously has no respect for his "tools".
Correct!   I have finished with it, now know it is 6 years old.

It has quite a bit of corrosion, 2 very stuck bearings of which I left one that still feels fine.   The right side pinion bearing was toast and took me a lot of effort to remove.  

I don't have a proper bearing puller and used Alans strategy and heated the thing!

Blue container has the residue from cleaning the one side plate inside!

Cornelis

Zimbass

Well done Corne.......a sense of achievement, I'm sure.

Cheers Boet.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

kmstorm64

You're a nice guy, I would of sent it back with  a note, "What part of cleaned didn't you understand?"
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

kevin cozens

i recently had a penn 535 that was a nightmare. it was a nightmare just parting the casing. the pinion shaft was also rusted solid to the spool spindle.
Another reel i had was a penn 320gti. the inside was a right mess. no wonder it was stiff to turn. both are running fine now

kevin cozens

nothing will better this one. trust me.
I could not believe that nothing was seized

Reeltyme

I service reels for $$, ($20). Thankfully I don't have any friends that treat their equipment like that, as of now anyway. I do, from time to time, have someone bring a very neglected yard sale find in and ask if I can bring it back to life, and some of them are definitely a challenge, but that's what we do. I do it for relaxation and meditation. I meditate on what in the world am I doing! My true payment is the look on their face when they see the p.o.s. they brought in that now looks fantastic! Makes my day to know another fine instrument has been saved from the junk pile! I'm sure we will all keep complaining while we continue to do what we do.