Next Set of Reels on my Bench

Started by Tightlines667, March 13, 2019, 04:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

The next set of reels on my bench include...

-Penn 750SS -Recieved it as a gift, getting upgraded drags, newer handle, titanium ratchet/dogs, spooled w/spectra

-4 Penn 712Z -Trading a general service on these for 30lbs of elk and whitetail

-Penn 12W -Hot-rodded, just needs new Bellevilles/tuning and spooling w/65lb jbraid and mono topshot

-TLD 15 -NEW bearings bellevilles, AT handle arm and knob, and drag washer.  Spooled with 80braid and mono topshot

-Penn Peer 109 -Boss's reel just needs a general service and respool for his summer fishing trip to MI

I am going turkey hunting for 5 days, so I may not get to these until next weekend. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

After the 7 small reels I will attack (Service/respool)my big stuff...

-5 Custom Rainshadow STUB80 rods
-2 Hawaiian Custom Rods Stub 130s
-4 Penn International 130ST Reels
-1 Fin Nor SA130
-2 14/0s w/Adam's Drag inserts

I already finished all my Jigmasters, Newells, 4/0, 6/0s, & 9/0s and rods.  I will have until early May to get everything in fishing condition, so I guess its time to get started soon.

John
Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

John, I've been meaning to ask you for commentary on fishing the stubbies after seeing them in your pics. I know you fish in holders. Nobody wants to standup those rigs on a bouncing boat with a 400 marlin lol. Can you elaborate on the choice of set-ups, and rationale? I run shorter heavy planer rods in-gunwhale. I'm interested in your POV for potential reapplication in NC.

Sweet stand. I love the wrap jobs on those sticks.

Thanks!

John

Tightlines667

Quote from: thorhammer on March 13, 2019, 03:25:00 PM
John, I've been meaning to ask you for commentary on fishing the stubbies after seeing them in your pics. I know you fish in holders. Nobody wants to standup those rigs on a bouncing boat with a 400 marlin lol. Can you elaborate on the choice of set-ups, and rationale? I run shorter heavy planer rods in-gunwhale. I'm interested in your POV for potential reapplication in NC.

Sweet stand. I love the wrap jobs on those sticks.

Thanks!

John

John,

Regarding the Stubies, I like them for my application for a few reasons.  I fish them out of gunnel-mounted Hawaiian-style Shotgun rod holders where the butt of the rod is in essence, mounted above the gunnels.  This means a short rod actuslly extends as far as a longer rod would were it mounted in standard flush-mount rod holders.  The rods have several advantages including: a long butt/short rod section with long forarm grip allow for more lifting power; the rods are stiffer which allow for increased drag settings; the tip bends just enough under load (25-45lbs) to provide some measure of forgiveness and allow the angler to keep the line tight throughout the fight; my boat has a flush transom so the line still easily clears the boat with a fish circling deep; the shorter rods make it easy to grab the leader with one hand, and the short (9') leaders are just the right length to allow a fish to circle just below the surfsce in gaff range when reeled to the tip of the rod, tgis allows me to handle a big fish single-handed; the short, stiff rods are eqsier to pick up and move to reposition under heavy load when needed. 

Honestly, the 130 class stubbies are a bit too stiff and 80s are actually better suited to fishing 130lb mono.  I consider these stubs as 'meat rods' since they really take alot of the fun/work/sport out of fighting a fish.  They are too short to fight a fish effectively from a chair, and too heavy to fight standup.  One thing I would like, is slightly shorter rods for my corners so the rigger rods stand 6" taller, I may just change my shotgun inserts so the front rods are mounted at a 30degree angle while the rear remain at 45drg angles to get the desired clearance on the bite while keeping my rods interchangable/identicle. 

I do have a set of 50class, slightly longer standup rods which I fish in the winter months for Mahi, Skipjack, and Striped Marlin.  These allow the angler to have more fun/endure more punishment during the fight.  When fishing solo or shorthanded, or with multiple hookups, the swiveling shotgun holders and stub rods with 130class 2-speeds make it much easier to deal with big fish.  They would also work well as planer or dredge rods, or with electric reels.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I also like the strength and flexability afforded with the Universal manufacturing shotguns.  I can mount a pinch puller electric reel, or my fish cleaning/chumming board in the bases, and can adjust the tension on the drag stack controlling the swivels.
The inserts can beveasily removed so my gunnels are absoliutely flush.  They can handle alot of pressure on them too.

John
Hope springs eternal