Penn 259?

Started by SoCalAngler, July 04, 2014, 03:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 05, 2014, 02:49:47 PM
Yes I know about the titanium washers, you were supposed to send me some, along with some other stuff around that time. I hope you never send those, because I never got them.

I was trying to get some acceptable handle arms to send with them and then I broke my hand.  The hand is not healing as well as I would like but I will have to deal with it. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Your hand is more important than fishing reels, well to some ;D. As you already know, there is never any hurry, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't send it, I was thinking that maybe it got lost and didn't want to feel like I didn't thank you.
Don't push it too hard, don't do as I do.
I shot a 31/4 " nail through my hand 5 month ago after 40 years doing what I do. I pulled the nail out with my teeth,  a little duct tape and back to work I went, but my helper grabbed me and wouldn't let me go until I decided to go to the hospital. They told me to rest it for a week and I asked if they would pay my bills, they said no, so back to work I went ;D.  
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Yes I know about the titanium washers, you were supposed to send me some, along with some other stuff around that time. I hope you never send those, because I never got them.
I'm still going to say that the 501 is a better choice, you could fish that reel at 12lb and up to 22lb. when needed.
I just tested a jigmaster with 5-149 main and 13-49 pinion, the handle had a 1/4" play, due to the larger notch on the pinion ( nothing that we couldn't fix), but that didn't seem to bother it. I tighten the star as hard as I could and pulled 25lbs of rolling weight by turning the handle. It took very little effort and pulled it very smoothly, gear ratio was 2.5:1.
Hey Sal, what bridge and sleeve did you use when you tried this experiment? That would be one tough and light live bait grouper digger, and use some cc plates and tiburon frame for added strength???
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

That 259 sounds like a good shelfie, given the condition. Picture plates on these reels are very nice. Wooden handle---good. Sounds like it's godda plastic spool. I got one, probably a latter model and had fun upgrading it with regular penn parts, for example a 113H - 3 screw stand. It's a not-too-pretty workin reel, much stronger than before, for yak trollin.

On the P. coast, for bottom fishin, a Jiggy(501-best IMHO) w/4:1 gears is about perfect for Rockies/Lings. These critters don't fight hard, especially after you start to move 'em up and pressure diffrences affect 'em. 50-100' depth w/4-10 oz. weight is good for a smaller-lighter reel(e.g., Squidder), but beyound that a good size crank w/4:1 gears, usin 12-24 oz wt. makes an old school jiggy a good choice. Best of both worlds is a 2-speed, lower price point rig, such as an older Avet. On the Charters I'm gonna smack it around a bit and there's a chance of an over-board or rip-off loss.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 16, 2019, 04:34:29 PM
I'm still going to say that the 501 is a better choice, you could fish that reel at 12lb and up to 22lb. when needed.
I just tested a jigmaster with 5-149 main and 13-49 pinion, the handle had a 1/4" play, due to the larger notch on the pinion ( nothing that we couldn't fix), but that didn't seem to bother it. I tighten the star as hard as I could and pulled 25lbs of rolling weight by turning the handle. It took very little effort and pulled it very smoothly, gear ratio was 2.5:1.
Hey Sal, what bridge and sleeve did you use when you tried this experiment? That would be one tough and light live bait grouper digger, and use some cc plates and tiburon frame for added strength???
I don't remember Darin, it has been a while.
I thought you were asking about the 259, so I took a pic for you. Mine has Bryan's ultimate kit...love those kits

I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 4/0.
This one would be very capable, I used the 5-149 main gear and 13-113H pinion.
It feels unusually smooth, smother than stock. A few members have done the same and really like it.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93529#msg93529

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

I love that reel, def one of my favorites I've seen on this board, Sal!
Thanks for sharing buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?