Occilation arm exchange 285 and 330

Started by basto, March 11, 2019, 09:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Everyone
I am wondering if the arch shaped occilation arm that goes from the main gear to the bottom of the spool shaft on a 285 finessa can be changed out for the arm (with its attachments) from a 330 ?
My reason for this is that I bought a 285 which usually comes with 2 arms, one for right hand cranking and one for left cranking. This reel has only one arm and it is for left cranking and I crank with my right hand.
The 330 has only one arm, but it is convertible to left or right.You just take the little block on the bottom of the arm and put it on the other side of the arm.
I will not get the 285 until another week, so I might be lucky and it will come with the extra arm.
thanks
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

It should work, with little, or no modification —

When you receive it — post some good pics, and we will see what you need.

And if you don't already have what you need — I could send some pieces your way.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Sorry for hijacking the subject, but I also have a swap question between a Finessa and a 331.

Wonder if it's possible to do some hot rodding, like transfer the higher speed gears from a 331 into an old 280 or 285 Finessa? 

foakes

Probably —

Most things can be done with a little luck — and/or some filing and modification.

Might just drop right in.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

That might be a future project.  A friend young enough to be my son who wasn't even born when these reels were made really likes the looks of the Finessa, but doesn't like the slow retrieve.  I have a junked out 331 in a ziplock baggie and maybe enough Finessa parts to Frankenreel one of those.  One difference I recall is the pinion bearing in the 330/331 is fastened in by a snap ring, but the Finessa isn't.

basto

Fred
Thanks a million for your quick reply.   and I will be sure to take those photos.
Greg

basto

Quote from: basto on March 11, 2019, 09:16:01 PM
Hi Everyone
I am wondering if the arch shaped occilation arm that goes from the main gear to the bottom of the spool shaft on a 285 finessa can be changed out for the arm (with its attachments) from a 330 ?
My reason for this is that I bought a 285 which usually comes with 2 arms, one for right hand cranking and one for left cranking. This reel has only one arm and it is for left cranking and I crank with my right hand.
The 330 has only one arm, but it is convertible to left or right.You just take the little block on the bottom of the arm and put it on the other side of the arm.
I will not get the 285 until another week, so I might be lucky and it will come with the extra arm.
thanks
Greg

Hi Fred
Sorry to waste your time. I could have saved us both some bother by just looking at the bottom of the spool shafts on these reels and how they differ, resulting in a no go for my proposition.
The distance from connection of main gear to spool shaft is the same on both arms, BUT, the bottom of the shafts differ and the little connecting screws differ in diameter.
Greg

nagant

I've been going to ask about a 441 mod, since the 440 and 330 have the same size body.  The 440 shaft diameter may be bigger so i doubt it would work just switching in 331 parts.
Brice