On the search for the pefect Porgy killer - new Abu Garcia Revo MGX baiitcaster

Started by mrbrklyn, March 04, 2020, 03:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So, I'm just continuing my search to a perfect reel for my inshore fishing and now I am lead to this Abu Garcia baitcaster with a 25 in/rotation up take.  It should be much slower to pull up fish, which I am aiming for.  I thought it would spin better.  It does not nearly spin as well as a Torque, but it is very very light

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/fishing_equipt/adu_garcia.jpg?width=1024

It should match with my custom rod much better.

MarkT

Small, light spools don't spin great since there's so little mass.  It'll do better with line on it and better yet casting.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Yeah, the free spool (free spin) time is a useless measure.  In order to make the reel usable you have to add braking to slow it down.

The Curado 70 XG gets 32 inches per turn (IPT).  There may be small low profile reels with even more IPT.
-steve

Rivverrat

Wow! Had no idea these little light weight baitcasters were available with such low gearing... Jeff

Benni3

Quote from: MarkT on March 04, 2020, 03:23:49 PM
Small, light spools don't spin great since there's so little mass.  It'll do better with line on it and better yet casting.
I like the big spools for smooth drag when fighting a fish,,,,, ;) but because of my back,,, :D when casting alot 7oz reel and 7oz rod =maybe 15oz and 9or10ft rod for distance,,,, :) I think this set up well be very fun on most fish,,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman