What's your verdict on the newer mag sealed Daiwa's?

Started by SevenYearsDown, March 12, 2019, 02:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I am looking for a star drag and the saltist P with a lower gear ratio looks awesome from what I see. But how is the mag sealed? Does this mean I can't service it myself? Was looking at the torium pga too but I have no experience with them also. Just got a GC for eBay so I need to use it

alantani

i'm not sure that mag seal oil ever gained traction.  maybe some other guys will chime in, but daiwa doesn't seem to push it anymore. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

A guy that goes pretty in-depth in his reviews might be an interesting read on the subject. Go to Allenhawk.com, then to the news/blog section where there's an article on mag seal reality.
Still can't figure out howta type in those "just tap here" web site addresses...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

exp2000

Unless your the kind of fastidious guy that nurses and dotes on his reels, mag seal technology is not a practical proposition for most anglers as it spells high maintenance and lock in service contracts with an company that has a poor reputation when it comes to customer service.

Allan Hawke: "Even if you store your mag-sealed reel perfectly unused the fluid would break down in 5 years and without Daiwa's help you'll never be able to replace it."

I suspect that this statement is true regarding shelf life. Ferrofluid is a homogeneous chemistry mix  with certain volatile factions which means that it will degrade over time.

Here is an interesting post that rings true:

https://www.strikehook.com/index.php?/forums/topic/27985-the-ever-changing-trends-on-spinning-reels/

"Just some observations I've made on spinning reels the last couple of months.

I've noticed a lot of people trying to offload mag sealed reels lately (on forums, Facebook etc.) and even more people seeking out the older model (pre mag seal) Saltiga Zs etc.

It looks like the hype surrounding this magic magnetic oil of the last couple of years has come crashing back to the reality of serviceability for Daiwa. With the company refusing to make their mag seal oil available to the public for self servicing.

Interestingly, Alan Hawk who breaks down and tests spinning reels like no other has no removed all mag sealed reels from his 'lists': http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

Due to the fact of serviceability for people in countries without Daiwa service centres etc.

I believe the last couple years Daiwa would have dominated the spinning reel market, but it seems now Shimano is coming back to the forefront. Following the success of the Saragosa SW (pretty much 100% waterproof) and Stradic FK along with the refining of the current Stella SW (after some teething issues).

I love my Shimano reels and was recently considering a purchase on a Daiwa, but I think I've changed my mind."
~

MarkT

I love my Lexa's and would have no issues with a BG spinner but anything with mag-sealed bearings are a no-go for me.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SevenYearsDown

Thank you for all the insights. Sad that it's not as easy to service as a penn senator. I was looking for a smallish star drag with low gear ratio and the eBay deal today was tempting. Good thing I held off on it.

CapeFish

Will it be a problem if you replace the mag oil with other oil over time? Or just replace the mag seal bearing with a normal bearing? Although I have heard they are odd sizes? I see Daiwa pushing it a lot, they have a lot of mag seal models now, there is even a BG spinner. Are you sure though the Saltist has a mag sealed bearing, the specs doesn't say so.

exp2000

Quote from: CapeFish on March 13, 2019, 08:45:05 AM
Will it be a problem if you replace the mag oil with other oil over time?

This is not an option. Ferrofluid has ferrous nano-particles which allows it to be manipulated by magnetic fields, in this case the mag seal plate etc. Conventional oils will simply flow past the magnetic plate leaving an open gap. However, there are aftermarket ferrofluid products available that some service techs use as a viable replacement.

Quote from: CapeFish on March 13, 2019, 08:45:05 AM
Or just replace the mag seal bearing with a normal bearing? Although I have heard they are odd sizes?

Daiwa seems to have gone out of their way to ensure that mag seal bearings do not match conventional sizes although you do have the option of extracting the ferrofluid and treating them as a regular bearing. The replacement cost is considerably more than a regular bearing. I have also heard of modifications attempting to deploy a regular bearing with packing washers to take up the slack but I have not attempted his myself.
~

Cor

I would try not purchase anything that I am not able to repair or service myself.

The "try" was added as an afterthought as sometimes you just don't have any other acceptable choice.
Cornelis

SevenYearsDown

Fun fact, they really are dropping the mag seal. The newer daiwa black and blue saltist has regular bearings now.

farnorthlbg

From all the newer Daiwa magsealed reels that pass over my workbench, I can honestly say the new magoil Daiwa are using currently is more robust.

Several years ago Daiwa changed thier ferrofluid manufacturer from Ferrotec to Magron.  If you have the Ferrotec fluid it's the 'old' stuff.

It's given me more faith in the integrity of the whole 'magseal' concept.