The dreaded extra part

Started by timburke6, March 12, 2019, 10:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timburke6

Hey guys, new member and first post. I took peak into the rabbit hole this weekend and completed my 1st service on a few reels. I went onto smooth drag and got all new washers, drag grease and corrosion x. Seems like it'll be a new hobby, fun winter time project while awaiting the spring fishing. In order I "almost completed" A Shimano Tekota 600, followed by a stradic 4000, and then a penn 3/0 112h senator.

I was working on my kitchen table with a towel and a old cutting board. Didn't want the grease and solvents to mess up the table, hence the cutting board. After the Tekota and stradic I found a small copper washer between the cutting board and the towel. I can't be sure which reel it came from and was hoping for some help ID'ing the part. I just pulled the Tekota back apart and checked a few spots I thought it may have came from. It is not from anywhere on the left side of the reel. It also does not fit onto the pinion gear where the handle and drag washers go. both reels feel like they are working like new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xjchad

My guess is that it's a main gear shim for the spinning reel.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Quote from: xjchad on March 12, 2019, 10:39:15 PM
My guess is that it's a main gear shim for the spinning reel.

I agree, and it could go on either side. If you have one on one side it most likely goes on the other side.

It could, though, be a handle shim on the 600.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

timburke6

I appreciate the help guys. Ill check it out tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

foakes

It is possible that it will run a little rougher with the copper shim back in.

Sometimes they get chewed up a bit — and they should either be replaced with a new one — or left out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

timburke6

well if that's the case, and its super smooth maybe I won't bother replacing it. Any real harm that can be done?

philaroman

Stradic main-gear shim -- they like to stick to gears/bearings & sneak away, unnoticed

not that uncommon to find 2, or even 3, where schematic shows 1 or none

if you replace a worn main w/ new, you may need to remove shim(s) intentionally