Hatteras Clam Chowder

Started by Miles Offshore, March 13, 2019, 01:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles Offshore

I know most everyone is familar with New England and Manhatten clam chowder (white and red broths) but not everyone  everywhere has Hatteras Clam Chowder. (Clear broth). May or may not be your thing but i love it and have to have it regularly. Not a set in stone recipe either, Cape Hatteras islanders originally didnt have a whole lot of ingredients so they utilized what they had, an abundance of clams, potatoes, onions and salt pork. The broth i like is mostly fresh clam juice supplemented with more out of a can but vegtable stock can be substituted if preferred. Wife cooked my bacon crispy then sautéed the onions in the bacon grease and added chopped carrots, bacon , onions, a couple garlic cloves,  chopped potatoes, some fine chopped parsley  and about 75 "littleneck clams" to a couple cups of water and the clam juice. Bring it all to a boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes and wala, some fine , fairly healthy eating! Really there are hundreds of different recipes online if you google Hatteras chowder, or put your own spin on it. Hope yall try it some time! Craig
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

ChileRelleno

Oh hell yeah, please pass me a bowl!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

theswimmer

That looks super......
Or maybe supper 😇
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

RowdyW

I've always been a big fan of Manhatten Clam Chowder until I moved to Florida 26 years ago. Now my favorite is Conch Chowder. Spicey but delicious. Hatteres Clam Chowder looks good too.           Rudy

Miles Offshore

Thanks guys, its good stuff!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

reddrum55

Headed to Waves on Wednesday. Have to hunt some up !!

Miles Offshore

Reddrum , im sure it will be easy to find! Heard the first big red drum were caught in Ocracoake last weekend! Good luck if you go!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Ron Jones

Looks tasty, here in the PNW we do something very similar only we often thicken the broth just a little to make it more "stewy."
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"