Building DAM Quicks — Microlite 265 Week

Started by foakes, March 13, 2019, 01:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Started building some DAM Quick 265 Microlites today.

Will have 12 completed by the end of the week.

These start out with a complete 265 — fully disassembled, cleaned, repainted, about 50% of the parts are replaced with new old stock from around 1960, modern lubes, fine-tuned and adjusted.

Both cosmetically and functionally perfect for another 50 years.

Then it will be time to start on the rest of the Quick models.

Currently have around 400 complete Quicks to build out of all models.

It is a little faster and more efficient to build two at a time.

These little Microlites weigh 8 ounces — and are engineering perfection.

High quality materials, tight tolerances, large main bearing, bronze gears, steel worm-drive through pinion, metal spool, attractive, and capable.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Fred, if you are selling these reels, I'm in for one.  Pm me with details.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Dominick on March 13, 2019, 01:50:43 AM
Fred, if you are selling these reels, I'm in for one.  Pm me with details.  Dominick
Same here, Fred, I'd love one for crappie fishing in my brother's lake!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Midway Tommy

Commenting from experience I can say that it is much more efficient to do a batch of the same model than it is do one of this & another of that. It becomes almost like an assembly line because after about the third reel you barely have to think.

Have fun Fred.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 13, 2019, 03:18:16 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 13, 2019, 01:50:43 AM
Same here, Fred, I'd love one for crappie fishing in my brother's lake!

Yes, Dominick & Darin —

They are all going to be sold — first to our members at a discounted price, second to the general angling public — worldwide.

I am at point in my life where I will be selling off everything except for my personal reel Arsenal.

So I will be doing the various models of Quicks — and providing those who have already ordered these reels theirs — as well as anyone else who needs one or more.

The only way I will sell them is fully restored — since I have a vast inventory of New Old Stock parts that also should be included in the builds.

After these 400, I will start on around 450 Mitchell's.

Then there are the Penns...

I just don't want to sell anything that I would not fish personally — and be proud of.

Plus, it gives me focus and purpose — after a lifetime of doing this work. 

And it also gets some decent tackle into the hands of those who appreciate quality and solid engineering — without paying the high prices for disposable tackle that is being produced nowadays.

I will PM both of you tomorrow.

We just got back from a talk at our local Library that was fascinating.  It was by a National Forest Archeologist with an emphasis on the Native American Culture that goes back about 14,000 years in our area of the Central Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Now it is time for a cup of hot chocolate, and hit the hay.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cubby1973

Fred I am so envious of you! In just the last few months I have come to really appreciate these and other reels such as the Mitchells. The simplicity along with durability just astounds me. I only wish I had a hundredth of your knowledge and passion. So many others with the inventory like what you have would charge ridiculous amounts for these reels and yet you with no hesitation or reservations just offer up parts as needed to any average Joe on this site and at you own cost to ship. You are an awesome human being and I will be proud to someday, once I'm out of my wife's doghouse, and honored to purchase one of your reels to pass on to keep these works of art bringing enjoyment for generations to come. God bless you my friend!

Thanks
Jeff

festus

I highly recommend Fred's restored 265 Microlite, got one myself a little over a month ago.  Almost 60 years old but looks and performs new.

Been looking for old classic ultralight rods from the same time frame such as Shakespeare Wonderod or Garcia Conolon without much luck.  But I have some more modern rods that will substitute--a 5' Ugly Stik Lite Pro, a couple of Shakespeare Micro Series, 5' and 5-1/2', a 4'-8" Shakespeare Microspin, a 6-1/2' St. Croix UL, a 5-1/2' Berkley UL Cherrywood, and a Wright and McGill 5-1/2 gold featherweight.

Got D-A-M Quick 110 and 110N in the reels arsenal also, along with a Shakespeare 2052 and a couple of old light Heddons and of course a Mitchell 308.

Almost forgot to ask. Fred, will you have any Mitchell 308 or 408 for sale later?

foakes

Quote from: festus on March 13, 2019, 10:04:23 AM
Almost forgot to ask. Fred, will you have any Mitchell 308 or 408 for sale later?

Yes on the 308's.

408's are tougher — since much more rare, and probably won't have more than one or two of those — or none.  We will see.

I have a big bin of 308's — and plenty of new old stock parts to make them new again.

I did a 308 for Mike (mo65) that he gifted to his brother.  Both him and his brother seem pretty pleased with its performance over the last year or two.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on March 13, 2019, 01:47:48 PM
Yes on the 308's.

408's are tougher — since much more rare, and probably won't have more than one or two of those — or none.  We will see.

I have a big bin of 308's — and plenty of new old stock parts to make them new again.

I did a 308 for Mike (mo65) that he gifted to his brother.  Both him and his brother seem pretty pleased with its performance over the last year or two.

Best,

Fred
Good!  Wait till I get $$$ ahead, it'll be later in the year, I'll send you a message when I'm ready.  I have a 308 that functions very well, it's just beat up pretty bad. But I only paid $3 for it, lol.

BTW, Fred, you wouldn't happen to have a Heddon 245 laying around, would you? Swami sent me one of those spinners last year.  It's missing something around the line roller, maybe a washer, collar, I don't know what because I can't find a schematic for that model and never been able to find a parts reel on the big auction.

foakes

I do have a big box of Heddon spinners, Festus —

But it will be later tonight or tomorrow before I can check for you.

Am down in Fresno dropping off the truck for some annual service.  Then heading over to a talk at Town Hall — then lunch with Sue who is picking me up in a few minutes — then a Costco and Trader Joe's run — maybe a movie — but I doubt there will be time for that.  Then Church later this evening.

I sure would like to be able to understand the meaning of the model numbers on the Heddon spinners.

That has always been a mystery to me because of lack of information.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

Way to go, Fred; you've got your head on straight & I admire your philosophy.  And, if you enjoy your work, have passion about it, as I think you do, all the better.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: foakes on March 13, 2019, 01:47:48 PM
Quote from: festus on March 13, 2019, 10:04:23 AM

Yes on the 308's.

Yes indeed...I commented on another thread about that 308 I bought from Fred. If you want a project reel(and all the headaches) buy from eBay. If you want a reel you can count on...contact Fred Oakes! 8)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20516.msg321808#msg321808
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Hmmmm... I love the Idea of a Microlite over some overpriced ultralight with plastic/graphite parts. But I love to "do it my way", headache, or not. Fred, if I's to NOT do the smart thing and try'n buy onea your resto's, could I get a flea-bay beater, and buy parts from you? How would you be set for DAM Microlite parts after finishing your builds of those critters?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

I am limited by spools, frames, rotors, sideplates, and a few other key parts, Greg...

Having said that, you would need to get a reel — then either buy parts from me after all of my builds are completed — or find parts on your own from wherever possible.

These are the rarest of parts, of perhaps all of the Quicks.  So I would also need to keep an inventory of parts for restores for members — and other folks.

If you bought a beater — then got parts from me — you would likely have 50% more invested in total, than a completely restored reel that I do for members.  

Some of the seemingly tiny and insignificant parts could cost $5 to $10 each, plus multiple shippings, if even available — and I replace with new approximately 40% to 50% of the total parts in the reel.  These Microlite 265's have 71 parts.

However, you would have the satisfaction of doing it — and I understand and appreciate that.

Glad to help, if possible — but it will be after all of the builds are complete — and I see where I am with inventory for folks who want theirs restored.

I do not do this for a living, just a hobby that likely doesn't even pay for itself — but it keeps me busy doing what I enjoy.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.