114 1+7 drag help

Started by Apparition, March 13, 2019, 01:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apparition

First....it is your fault that I am asking the question.  I would not have considered reel modifications until I stumbled unto this forum.  Now I am replacing drags in everything i own including new reels.

I have an old 6/0 in great shape that needs to be used for some grouper.  I want to replace drag and put in a ss dog and gear sleeve.  It seems to have a steel gear and is one that the drag can be accessed from the outside. I contacted Dawn at Smooth Drag and she wanted more information regarding the parts.  It sounds like I can use 4-20B cf washers and 3-HT 100 in the drag stack with 7 new metals. Dawn would like part numbers for the metals and which HT-100 or other washer fits under the main gear.

The old drag is 3 fat washers and 2 fat metals that together measure 0.490 or so.   The parts do not fit the schematic.  This reel is not supposed to have a 9N-114 spacing sleeve or an 8A washer that I think is a Belleville under the star but it does.

Under the star there is a Belleville, then a spacing sleeve, then a thick Belleville, then a keyed washer, then a felt washer, then a collar/cap that holds the felt, then the drag washer stack.  Which of these parts are no longer needed?

When I add the 4 x 0.02" cf with the 3 x 0.047 HT-100 I get 0.221".  Leaving 0.269" for metals.  They would need to be around 0.038 to fit.  Is that right?

Thank you for the help!!

Shark Hunter

Is this a 114H or the regular 114?
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

The regular 114 is usually black and the 114H are normally red.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

If this is for a 114, I will have a 7-stack drag kit available in about 1 month.

If this is for a 114H, you may purchase a 7-stack drag kit from Mystic Parts at https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN114H.aspx
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Apparition on March 13, 2019, 01:57:46 AMThis reel is not supposed to have a 9N-114 spacing sleeve....

I am assuming it's a black low speed 114 and not a red/maroon 114H.  The 114H uses a larger gear sleeve and the spacer is a 9-114H.

If my assumption is correct I would recommend getting one of Bryan's 7 washer 114 drag kits, everything needed is there and it will save you a bit of hassle.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I was hoping he would respond, so I could point in the right direction. ::)
We still don't know what reel he is trying to upgrade.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Welcome Apparition! Cool user name.
Pictures aren't absolutely needed, but can help. The drag stack arrangement you described sounds a little off. If you can provide a pic., spread the drag out arranged like it came, including the star and other washers, and include the side-plate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 13, 2019, 06:58:27 AM
I was hoping he would respond, so I could point in the right direction. ::)
We still don't know what reel he is trying to upgrade.

Yup.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

An 'Apparition' sent to be a moments ornament :D

RowdyW

It sure sounds like it is a Senator 114 6/0 with the original drag stack & everthing above it all out of sequence.     Rudy

Apparition

Thank you for the help.  Yes it is an old 114 with no H.  I am at work now so no pics till later.  It has the drag accessible from the outside.

Would love to get your advice on how to configure the new setup so as soon as I figure out how to post photos I will.

I have time to wait for parts to become available.

Keta

Quote from: Apparition on March 14, 2019, 03:50:38 PM
Would love to get your advice on how to configure the new setup....

Gear, CF, keyed metal, CF, eared metal, CF, keyed metal CF and on.  Always put a keyed washer in as the first metal one and alternate.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 13, 2019, 04:17:54 AM
If this is for a 114, I will have a 7-stack drag kit available in about 1 month.

If this is for a 114H, you may purchase a 7-stack drag kit from Mystic Parts at https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN114H.aspx
I should have the parts in-house by early of next week.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Apparition

I agree with you guys the parts do seem out of place.  I have been unable to post a photo and I am finished trying tonight.  I will figure out how to post the photos and try again on another day. 

Thank you for your help and sorry I am not able to attach the photo.

Apparition

Ok.  I think I have figured out how to post a photo.  From left to right:  Main Gear...Drag Washer....keyed washer...drag washer....eared washer....drag washer....Collar (holds felt washer)....felt washer....thick keyed washer....thick bellville....spacer....belville...star.

I think the thick keyed washer is out of place.  Also the collar with felt washer should be reversed.  Is this correct?