all these years, we've been calling it the wrong thing.........

Started by alantani, March 13, 2019, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Quote from: David Hall on March 13, 2019, 09:04:22 PM
I only repair for myself and my buddies for price of parts only and I don't take on outside projects.  Last thing I want to do is reel repair.
This has always been my point as well.   I also do rods on the same basis.

Wife keeps saying why don't I charge all these guys?
*   Well firstly the market does not allow me to charge a fair price for my time and efforts.
*   If I did charge, I would need to deliver a decent service & commit myself to some time
    frames etc.
*   Obtaining parts here is very difficult.
*   I suppose there is an issue of liability as well, some stuff will get broken in the process.

Reel prices have increased a lot the past few years so perhaps we can charge a bit more but very quickly the price of the labour plus a part or two is near enough to the price of a new reel.
There was a time when I did not repair my own reels, just bought a new one and kept using the best parts between the lot.   Was a good strategy!
Cornelis

mikeysm

Alan can I pay you with lingusia I just made 22.5 lbs.

Mike

Reel 224

Just as an example*  I bought tooling from Germany for my lathe and payed $125.00 for the tool holders the dealer contacted me and said he made a mistake in pricing and that I had to pay $19.68 more. It was his mistake but I payed. Why. because people make mistakes and prices of tool and materials are going up year by year.

You can't buy a Baby-Ruth candy bar for a nickel anymore either.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

I joined this site to learn to repair my own reels. I really don't enjoy it as many other members do. Just like cleaning the boat, or changing the oil in a internal combustion engine, it's something you just have to do. I do fix my friends reels at no charge but it is a hassle if you don't have a parts inventory because shipping costs for one small part often costs as much as 6x or more than what the part(s) cost.  For you guys that do it as a business it must be tough but I think Fred made some good points.

Scott

nelz

Ha-ha, glad it's not just me that it takes so long for a restoration.  Btw, same goes for judging the fish you catch/eat based on price per pound...

foakes

One last set of thoughts that occurred to me this morning — then I will stop...

The VAST majority of experienced anglers — have no idea or no desire — to repair and service their own reels.

On our site, we find that hard to believe — or do not even comprehend that way of thinking.  That is because most on here are "doers", and are immersed in the mindset of repairing anything from appliances, to mechanics, doing fabrication, carpentry, masonry, basically anything another person made — we figure we can fix it.

There is a whole generation of Mellenials, "X'rs", and other well educated professionals who would not even attempt to do a minor plumbing job, door adjustment, sheetrock repair, carpentry job, auto repair, or any other issue around their lives.  They just call a professional — and are OK with that.  They have the income, and prefer to have these repairs and services done by someone else.

We should look at ourselves the same way, as professionals — because that is what we are.

The prices charged — start with what is fair to all concerned.

Don't sell yourself cheaply, or short.

You perform a valuable service that folks are willing to pay for — and they are appreciative.

I don't know how many hundreds of clients that I have done work for over the years — who have a $50,000 boat, and all that goes with that, maybe $10,000 worth of rods and reels, a $40,000 tow vehicle, thousands to spend on long range and exotic fishing trips, and more — who, when looking at a photo of a reel that I have disassembled — say, I am glad I did not try to do that work — I would be way over my head.  Thank You, they say...

$10 or $20 isn't going to make a bit of difference — as long as your work is good, and you explain to them what was involved — so they know...

An honest Workman needs to both know that he performs a valuable service — and have the ability to charge a fair price for all concerned — and be paid gratefully...

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

well, my prices have been going up lately, but mostly because the reels i have been getting have been in such bad shape.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on March 14, 2019, 06:18:19 PM

The VAST majority of experienced anglers — have no idea or no desire — to repair and service their own reels.

On our site, we find that hard to believe — or do not even comprehend that way of thinking.  That is because most on here are "doers", and are immersed in the mindset of repairing anything from appliances, to mechanics, doing fabrication, carpentry, masonry, basically anything another person made — we figure we can fix it.

There is a whole generation of Mellenials, "X'rs", and other well educated professionals who would not even attempt to do a minor plumbing job, door adjustment, sheetrock repair, carpentry job, auto repair, or any other issue around their lives.  They just call a professional — and are OK with that.  They have the income, and prefer to have these repairs and services done by someone else.

Fred

In my case it might be a unique situation, but my sub plumber is a college graduate, my excavator is also one. He was a CPA and pulled out of the office to do construction.
I'm not a college graduate, but have been running my own business for the past 27 years with 0 complains by the way and been at it for 44 years. Oh, I also repair and upgrade reels on the side :).
I have all types of customers, a close friend was big with pharmaceuticals and used to tell me he would drop everything in a heart beat to do what I do.

I also want to add, at the rate we're going,  in about 10 or so years people will pay out of their nose to get good old fashion work.
I haven't been able to teach anyone, they usually run after 2 weeks and that's not because they rather study, the want to go home and play video games all day.

Back to reel service, I don't believe everyone is charging enough, but that's only my opinion.

Mine are done as a hobby and not business, but if I do retire in a couple of years, I might get a little more involved :-\.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 14, 2019, 07:10:55 PMI haven't been able to teach anyone, they usually run after 2 weeks and that's not because they rather study, the want to go home and play video games all day.

Same here, I have offered to help several young people learn but no interest.  We are in a throw away society.  Our college grad son is now in the trades, HVAC, but most kids today do not like to get their hands dirty.  Our son PAID his way through college doing concrete work and has zero student loan debt.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Just the phrase "well educated" raises my blood pressure. It's been way over utilized the last few years.  >:( I spent just one semester in college and quickly realized that I was educated enough not to make a career out of reading books and being influenced by professors. While my high school friends were creating debt I decided to make some money, started my own construction business and retired the first time around at 50 while most were still trying to get out from under the debt they created. I got bored after a couple of years & decided to come out of retirement and piddle around for 15. "Well educated", IMO, is a totally subjective mind set.  ;) If one is willing to work hard nothing beats the "school of hard knocks and experience", and the financial and mental rewards can be extraordinary.   :)

Now onto reels.  ;D  At this point I enjoy, a lot, working on my own reels because it's a hobby! If I had to do it for a living, just like any other vocation, I'm sure I would probably lose interest quickly.

I used to think, in my naive, younger, days, that being a commercial hunting and/or fishing guide would be the ultimate way to make a living. I'm glad I never indulged because I found that about two straight weeks of fighting mother nature and the elements was about the extent of that enjoyment.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on March 14, 2019, 06:18:19 PM

We should look at ourselves the same way, as professionals — because that is what we are.

The prices charged — start with what is fair to all concerned.

Don't sell yourself cheaply, or short.

You perform a valuable service that folks are willing to pay for — and they are appreciative.

I don't know how many hundreds of clients that I have done work for over the years — who have a $50,000 boat, and all that goes with that, maybe $10,000 worth of rods and reels, a $40,000 tow vehicle, thousands to spend on long range and exotic fishing trips, and more — who, when looking at a photo of a reel that I have disassembled — say, I am glad I did not try to do that work — I would be way over my head.  Thank You, they say...

$10 or $20 isn't going to make a bit of difference — as long as your work is good, and you explain to them what was involved — so they know...

An honest Workman needs to both know that he performs a valuable service — and have the ability to charge a fair price for all concerned — and be paid gratefully...

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred

Fred: Thank you for putting it so well and honestly.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Education is a foundation like a house foundation, then it's what you make of it, that is were the skill comes in play.

Joe

Gfish

Agree with Joe, Tommy, Fred, Lee & Sal.
After several junk reels, I finally got a MG 300 as a young teenager and trial & error'ed my to learning to service it. The salesman told me NOT to take it apart---I'd never get it back together! Ha!
My latest thing is clothing repair, especially replacing worn out elastic. I shop hard for good stuff that is expensive. No way I'm tossin stuff I like. We don't have an REI here. Also, mold makes footwear fall apart here pretty quickly(Shoe-Goo!).
If I's to go into reel repair as a business, my nightmere customer types would be like my wife. Mrs. "more stuff and service, for less"; she can sweet talk you, or she can wear you out with words until you just give her what she wants. Worked great with our house builders, probably cause they were from China and didn't know about contracts...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!