Ambasadeur double tension knobs!

Started by chockpish, April 02, 2019, 08:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chockpish

Hi all! This is silly question! But I've been looking at the Ambassadeur round reels like the Blue Yonder, the c7000, the 7000 c3! They have double tension knobs!One on either side of the reel! Here is my question! How do you set the spool on a real like the ones I mentioned? Do you set both sides every time? Just one side and only use the other tension knob with lure change? I've looked on the world wide web, but can't seem to find any info on this particular subject! So I decided to ask the experts in this forum for some info on the subject!

Thanks in advance, Mike!
Tight lines and be safe!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

festus

Good question.  I've used these reels for over 40 years and don't know the correct procedure. l just fiddle with both knobs until it feels right.

basto

About 19 years ago I bought an ABU 6500C3CT Mag Elite when I was in London. The best way I found to adjust the two knobs was to use them to centre the spool in the frame, leaving enough free spool for casting. I never saw them as a cast control, as the magnetic control was quite effective.
I used to do the same with my 5500, even though it had no magnets.
Greg 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

exp2000

One side is for lubrication access to bearings/bushes and shimmed spool adjustment. It is typically seen on larger models. It should be fully screwed down and once even line lay is achieved by shimming (5145), it should no longer be touched. Spool position is set and you do not want to interfere with it.

This cap is often absent on smaller models as consistent manufacturing tolerances can achieve acceptable spool position and since the bearings are inside the spool on this model, it is really redundant - just a legacy feature from yesteryear when the bearings/bushes lived inside the side-plates rather than the spool. Now probably just a marketing gimmick to make you feel like you are getting something above and beyond for the extra money you are spending on an "Elite" model.

The other side is used for cast control. On your reel this is the handle side where the axle clip attaches to the end of the spool shaft . There is also some discussion regarding the function and necessity for this clip but I believe it's purpose is to stop the spool shaft from rotating so as to maintain consistent cast control. It frequently breaks during servicing.

Photo courtesy of Gasping Gurami:

chockpish

Thank you for the info! That's what I thought it was for, centering the spool! Like I said! If you need info on a reel, Alan Tani forum is the place to go!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

mikeysm

On my beast round I use the handle side to center the spool. And the other to set the tension. If it isn't right it will make a squealing noise during casting.

Mike

exp2000

A certain way to tell which side-cap is responsible for cast control on these smaller models is to look at the spindle.

The brass collar on the spindle exerts axial load on the spool bearing achieving a measure of cast control.

So the brass collar end is doubtless the correct end to apply cast control. There is no escaping this.
~

Fish-aholic

The left tension knob is used for increasing cast control and has a numerical plate that can be adjusted/rotated to mark when minimal lateral spool float has been set (0.5mm) giving the reel optimum free spool qualities.

While lateral spool float is in place, the numerical plate is adjusted so the "zero" lines up with a triangle marker on tension knob. When increasing cast control, a clockwise adjustment with tension knob from zero toward settings 1, 2 etc. will begin removing spool float and start handicapping free spool. The owner can quickly adjust knob back to zero to increase prior free spool qualities.

Tension knob on the right doesn't have the range for varied cast control like the left one does.

HTH, Steve

reel man

Thank you Steve, great explanation.

exp2000

Quote from: Fish-aholic on April 03, 2019, 05:38:38 PM
The left tension knob is used for increasing cast control and has a numerical plate that can be adjusted/rotated to mark when minimal lateral spool float has been set (0.5mm) giving the reel optimum free spool qualities.

While lateral spool float is in place, the numerical plate is adjusted so the "zero" lines up with a triangle marker on tension knob. When increasing cast control, a clockwise adjustment with tension knob from zero toward settings 1, 2 etc. will begin removing spool float and start handicapping free spool. The owner can quickly adjust knob back to zero to increase prior free spool qualities.

Tension knob on the right doesn't have the range for varied cast control like the left one does.

HTH, Steve

Apologies Steve, you are correct.

I misread the thread and was commenting on the later mentioned 6500C3CT Mag Elite which was one of ABU's "experiments".

There are two cast control methods employed by ABU:

1. The dual cap system traditionally deployed where the shaft is integral to the spool and the handle side cap is fixed for initial spool adjustment. The other side used for cast control just as you have described. The shaft is pinched between the two end caps. In this design, the bearings are located in the side-plates.

2. The single cap system traditionally deployed where the spool shaft is removable. In this system, the handle side spool bearing is pinched between the brass collar on the shaft and the spool itself via a compression washer behind the bearing. The end of the shaft floats freely in the side-plate with no tension on it allowing slight movements to accommodate adjustments from the handle side. In this design, the bearings are located in the spool.

Then, there are the "experiments" like the 6500C3CT Mag Elite. There is no level-wind in the schematics so the nylon drive cog on the spool has been replaced by a brass ferrule (23500). The spool shaft floats inside this and operates as a single cap system, yet a second cap has been added which can adjust spool position. The endless abundance of ABU variety!

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this clarifies things appropriately.
~