info for an old fishing light rod

Started by steelfish, March 13, 2019, 06:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

one friend gave me this old rod, he dont remember where he got it or bought it, he didnt have use for it since its a light rod and he only fish on local saltwater from a boat, the rod doesnt have any info on the blank or on the reelseat which looks made from aluminium.
looks like a custom made rod but Im not sure, it might be a cheap one with the lettering erased already, I estimate a blank for 10-17lb line.

what took my attention is the blank, its has that nice translucent look of the graphite layers that some newer blanks have, the blank color is brown but in the sun the it looks like dark honey tone.

if someone recognize it let me know any info of the rod brand or maker
The Baja Guy

sharkman

I have seen a few older Abu Garcia rods that color.

wfjord

I have a nearly identical graphite spinning rod I bought sometime between the latter '70s and 1981. There are no identifying logos, print, or marks on the rod blank. It doesn't have the same thread wrap above the fore grip, but the blank, reel seat, grips and guide wraps look the same. Bought it in Columbia SC, but don't remember where exactly.

10-17lb line sounds about right for it. It's a strong rod and the brown colored graphite blank is attractive.

Several years later I bought an identical looking blank from a high end tackle shop in the St. Pete area and built a casting rod with it for inshore fishing.

brickie374

1badf350

Quote from: brickie374 on April 03, 2019, 12:22:25 AM
Kind'a looks Fenwickie

I was thinking the same. Looks like a Fenwick HMG
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Hardy Boy

I would say Fenwick also if I had to guess. Looks like the Fenwick brown and the same wraps of the ones that I have.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Fenwick also use that color reel seat. If it isn't a Fenwick, it could sell itself as one.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

nice, well the components looked kinda good quality for a throw away rod (el cheapo) so, I will considered a fenwick witout stickers  ;D

that will be nice cuz it will be a nice parter to my new UL rod, a vintage Fenwick Eagle rod, I just loved the ree seat, aluminuin and foam and how half of the reel seat is hidden on the eva foam, also there is a surface texture over all the blank, too bad there is no much shore or pier activity on my waters to test this rod, a triggerfish would be the ultimate test for this skinny rod or maybe too much for it.

The Baja Guy

The Fishing Hobby

I'm not an expert by any means, but that looks to have been made in the early 1980's when varnish was still widely used on the wraps. The blank itself reminds me of an old Daiwa graphite rod I have which used a lower modulus graphite blank than what you usually see today making the rod a little more whippy...but not as whippy as fiberglass. Those early graphite rods were less prone to breaking but not as sensitive as the newer high modulus ones. Good tough old rods usually.
My old Daiwa rod has a similar reel seat and foam grips too.
Have you fished with it yet? Looks like it has a lot of life left in it!

thorhammer

Browning also a possibility. I have some Daiwa's that look like that but they have Dynaflo guides.

steelfish

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 08, 2019, 11:43:47 AM
The blank itself reminds me of an old Daiwa graphite rod I have which used a lower modulus graphite blank than what you usually see today making the rod a little more whippy...but not as whippy as fiberglass. Those early graphite rods were less prone to breaking but not as sensitive as the newer high modulus ones. Good tough old rods usually.
My old Daiwa rod has a similar reel seat and foam grips too.
Have you fished with it yet? Looks like it has a lot of life left in it!

I always though it was a cheap factory rod, but didnt saw any kind of leftover marks from letteting or stickers on the rod from any known fishing brand thats why I asked here.
I have an cheap daiwa Megaforce bass rod 6-14lb rod made from IM6 graphite which is a lower modulus blank and it had served really good to my daughter when she was 10 yo fishing from shore for triggerfish and spotted bay bass, the rod can bend a lot almost as a glass rod but its sensitive and super light and after many years still going strong even with the treatment of a 10yo kid, she used the rod at least 5 years every month, its being 10 years ago and still have the rod in perfect shape.

I havent fished the rod from the pictures, I migh use it as loaner for a kid, for my personal use I have many other rods on that line rating
The Baja Guy