South Bend Sup Matic 707 spinner made in France

Started by festus, March 13, 2019, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Has any member owned one of these reels?  Most South Bend spinners I ever owned or seen were made in Japan.  I've seen the old knucklebuster baitcasters made in USA, however.

I saw a Youtube video where a guy took the side plate from one of the Sup Matics.  It was interesting,  had gearing somewhat like a Mitchell 300 but the video wasn't clear enough to see much. 

These pop up on Ebay for cheap, wondering if maybe they'd be worth taking a look at?

Midway Tommy

Between the 606, 707, 606G & 707G, I have seven. They were considered very high quality and one of the smoothest running older spinning reels I have ever cranked. Gs are the last issue and are a tanish/salmon color. The Gs had a decal sticker that has usually worn off. 606s are single speed and the 707 is a two speed, although a handle kit was available to convert the 606 & 606G to two speed. The knob on the crank handle moves in and out to change speeds, 2.75:1 & 4.1:1. They also had two spool sizes.

The reel was patented in '54 and in production in '56 by a company named Frank & Pignard. They gave the American distribution rights to South Bend in '61. F&P was sold to Bon Homme in '63, hence the tan "G" versions. South Bend was sold to Gladding in '64 and that was the beginning of the end of the SupMatic distribution in the US. They were sold in Europe for awhile after that.

They are a well made spinning reel but for some unknown reason don't bring high prices.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks, Tommy. I knew if anybody could tell me about these it would be you.

Is the 606 a lighter reel? The ad says the 707 weighs 13.5 oz.

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 13, 2019, 11:16:18 PM
Thanks, Tommy. I knew if anybody could tell me about these it would be you.

Is the 606 a lighter reel? The ad says the 707 weighs 13.5 oz.

Not really, just the difference in the additional gearing & added handle button weight. They are exactly the same, otherwise, except the 606 is 4.1:1 unless it has been converted.

They also offered a big saltwater model, the 808. Frazer of France made it until '63. Then it was changed to Shakespeare's 2090 and sold in that same mint green color with a SB 808 badge.

The funny part about the badges are that they weren't installed in a consistent location. Sometimes they were put on the top of the body or sometimes on either side. I guess it depended on who showed up for work that day. There is also a 606 that has a black side plate.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)