Makai Impressions!

Started by alantani, March 14, 2019, 02:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

when i was down at the fred hall show this last week, i met brandon from makai impressions.  he does incredible work, so i told him he was welcomed to offer his work for sale here.  his website is https://makaiimpressions.com/  here's an example! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makai Impressions

Hey Alan it was great meeting you at the Fred Hall Show!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Gyotaku, each impression is made by painting onto a fish and rubbing textured rice paper over it.  Because the fish itself is used, all of the scales and details are captured in this process.  The size of the impression will also stay true to the size of your fish.  I then take this black and white impression and add the colors and patterns that the fish exhibited while still alive.  I do very minimal touch-up in order to preserve the look of a true fish print, not a painting. 

If you catch a once in a lifetime fish and are in the vicinity of Los Angeles, I can also do custom impressions of your catch.  Think of it like a taxidermy on paper, only with Gyotaku the non-toxic acrylic paint washes away with water to ensure you can still eat your catch.  If anyone has questions/comments/inquiries please feel free to message, comment, or email me and I'll try my best to respond   

My website is: www.makaiimpressions.com

Thanks!
-Brandon

redsetta

They're sensational Brandon - really impressive.
I'd never heard of the technique before but, having now been introduced to it, I'd love to own a Gyotaku impression one day.
Truly great work!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

And Brandon in action
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Nice work Brandon.  One of our members, Steve-O posted this a couple of years ago.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22457.0  What do you think?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

years ago, when my daughter was in grade school, she made this for me!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

I think your work is awesome.  I'd like to have one done on a big salmon I'm going to land this April.

Makai Impressions

Quote from: redsetta on March 14, 2019, 03:29:49 AM
They're sensational Brandon - really impressive.
I'd never heard of the technique before but, having now been introduced to it, I'd love to own a Gyotaku impression one day.
Truly great work!
All the best, Justin

Thanks Justin, I'm glad I could be the one to introduce you to this art-form!

Makai Impressions

Quote from: David Hall on March 14, 2019, 04:50:54 AM
I think your work is awesome.  I'd like to have one done on a big salmon I'm going to land this April.

Thanks David! and I hope you get that personal best salmon and we can get it printed, Good luck on the fishing!

Makai Impressions

Quote from: alantani on March 14, 2019, 04:50:05 AM
years ago, when my daughter was in grade school, she made this for me!

This is actually pretty good, nice detail on the scales. Looks like I got competition hahaha

Makai Impressions

Quote from: Dominick on March 14, 2019, 04:40:17 AM
Nice work Brandon.  One of our members, Steve-O posted this a couple of years ago.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22457.0  What do you think?  Dominick

Very cool, his work is amazing.  I like the look of the black and white traditional Gyotaku.  Thanks for the link!