Dam withdrawals!

Started by Cubby1973, April 09, 2019, 11:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubby1973

I've been put on a strict no spending freeze by the Mrs. and I'm really missing the tinkering and reviving these old reels! This is very addictive habit. Don't tell her, but I do have a bid out for a later model. Have a Quick AT Microlite FD that I got for 5 bucks on Ebay that came with 2 extra spools. Not the smoothest, but caught 3 trout this past Saturday with it and it worked flawlessly!

Thanks
Jeff

festus

Understood.  I'm not familiar with the reel you mentioned, but l bet it'll do the job.  Before your addiction gets too out of hand, perhaps you need to explore some others, such as Shakespeare, Pflueger, Heddon, Mitchell, or Abu.

happyhooker

I believe Dr. Festus has the diagnosis correctly made.

Frank

Cubby1973

Quote from: festus on April 10, 2019, 12:18:15 AM
Understood.  I'm not familiar with the reel you mentioned, but l bet it'll do the job.  Before your addiction gets too out of hand, perhaps you need to explore some others, such as Shakespeare, Pflueger, Heddon, Mitchell, or Abu.

Already done! Have 2-Mitchell 300, 330 and 304. Shakespeare 2052. Pflueger pelican 1020. No Penn's yet, a little pricey. Here's a pic of the Quick reel. Probably mid 80's. It has a cheap plastic anti reverse bearing and is a little tuff to turn, but not bad.

Thanks
Jeff

Reel 224

Budget!! ;D ;D ;D I blew mine for at least life without parole! Just ask Ruth.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Midway Tommy

I justify my obsession by making the comparison of $10 a day on alcohol/entertainment or $10 a day on reels? I don't do any alcohol so the rationalization of reel collecting is very simple.   :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 10, 2019, 05:18:28 AM
I justify my obsession by making the comparison of $10 a day on alcohol/entertainment or $10 a day on reels? I don't do any alcohol so the rationalization of reel collecting is very simple.   :)

Ditto for me, except I skip the smokes; do folks realize how much it runs to at $8-9 a pack a day?

Frank

oldmanjoe

Quote from: happyhooker on April 10, 2019, 04:28:37 PM

Ditto for me, except I skip the smokes; do folks realize how much it runs to at $8-9 a pack a day?

Frank
Sure do , I can buy a reel every two weeks !   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on April 10, 2019, 04:28:37 PM
I justify my obsession by making the comparison of $10 a day on alcohol/entertainment or $10 a day on reels? I don't do any alcohol so the rationalization of reel collecting is very simple.   :)

Frank

Yep. I used a carton a week for 45 years up until 8 years ago, and that transforms into, at most store prices, more than a reel a week.  ;)

Now that I'm unhooked, & 50 lbs heavier  :'(, I can't believe I did that filthy habit for all those years. People that do don't realize how bad the reek out in public. t's hard to believe I smelled like that. I do have to admit, though, that about every 3 or 4 months, still to this day, I enjoy a few good puffs..... in my sleep.  ??? If it happens to be an early morning dream that I remember vividly, when I wake up, I just shake my head in wonderment.  :o Nicotine is one nasty drug!  ::)  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nctrucker

I justify my obsession by making the comparison of $10 a day on alcohol/entertainment or $10 a day on reels? I don't do any alcohol so the rationalization of reel collecting is very simple.   :)

i quit partying in mid 70's. no drugs, booze and i even quit smoking then as well. a rough calculation of 45 years/365 days/$8 = over $120,000 i've had available spend on other things. i don't mind spending for my toys.  today is one of my days off. think i'll go hit the pawn shops and see what i can scare up.

happyhooker

Welcome to the AT site, nctrucker, from Minnesota.  $120K is serious change.

Frank

foakes

Welcome aboard, Trucker —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nctrucker

Thanks for the welcome, folks. i've enjoyed fishing for 50+ years and enjoyed it even more when i used fine quality tackle. started with a zebco 77(lost a washer or a nut for it, fixed it with a piece of stripped copper wire- i started fixing 'em early!), then a zebco 33, zebco 909(don't go there), ambassedeur 6000. cardinal6, cardinal 4, quick 220, daiwa baitcasters,etc.
i've been using the zebco cardinal 4 since mid 70's. i've had no problems with it except paint wearing off rotor. still in use, along with other cardinal family members(3, 4, 5, and 6's-garcia and zebco). what a great series of reels. sure enjoy the forum.