331N spool problem

Started by nagant, March 14, 2019, 10:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

The spool has so much end play it disengages. Thinking it may be the wrong spool, 330? This is a 331N reel. Also worm drive is rough on one end due to rust i think. Cleaned it up but reel is still noisey compared to my 440. Noise is no problem but need to figure out spool problem. Didnt notice it before i disassembled it so not sure if i put it together wrong , never opened the spool. Could use a link to a schematic for N series reel, cant find one. Thanks.
Brice

Cubby1973

Looks like a 330 spool. Do not try and put it on the spindle shaft! It will get really stuck. I think the N spools have plastic ratchet wheels under the spool.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

A few things —

A 330 or 331 spool cannot be installed on an "N" series reel.  It will become trapped at the end — requiring cutting and ruining of a part or two to remove it.  The release mechanisms are completely different.

The worm drive needs to be completely cleaned — then a small sized drill bit completely covered with "0000" steel wool needs to be rotated inside the worm drive until it gets warm — about 1 minute.

Then a larger drill bit with steel wool needs to be run and rotated into the rear bushing that supports the worm pinion.

While you are at it with the steel wool — do the same for the crank handle bushing.

Then the spool shaft and crank axle also need to be cleaned thoroughly with steel wool until all rust and film is gone.

Then...clean everything again by rinsing, drying, then oiling the parts.

Should work just fine — and eliminate any roughness.

But do not install the spool on this shaft...it will spoil your day, if it is the wrong spool.

I will attach a schematic.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

The ratchet wheel on the spool is metal, spool came on the reel.  Spool has (300) with no N on bottom, so assume not the correct part.  Any sure fire way to identify it?  Since i need to buy a spool (if it is wrong) is there a metal spool that would fit this?  Otherwise will buy a plastic 330N spool. thanks for the schematic, cant find any for the N-reels.
Brice

festus

Unfortunately there is no metal spool that will fit the 330N or 331N.  But there are some 330N spools on EBay from $14.99 to $16.99 with free shipping.  

Cubby1973

Try looking for parts reel. I see 330N's on there for decent prices. Plus you'll have a parts reel for any future issues.

Thanks
Jeff

Cubby1973

Just type in dam fishing reel and scroll down. I see 3 spools and a couple of cheap buy it now's.

Thanks
Jeff

Cubby1973

Just reread your post. You already know this. 😜

The Finessa reels came with metal spools, but only fit on non N reels. Really wish someone would come up with aftermarket aluminum spools for these. I would love one for my 550!

nagant

Not sure if the spool is the problem but i did buy one.
Brice

nagant

Here's the in progress shot. Steel wool and drill bit did a great job. The bearing might be the cause of the slight vibration and noise.
Brice

Cubby1973

This is the bearing I bought for my 330.

nagant

Well i got the correct spool and dismantled and went over all the bearings and shafts again with steel wool. then used polishing compound to really get anal. :D Much quieter and with an old graphite rod will be my main walleye weapon this spring.
Brice

Cubby1973

That's great! Nothing like getting something in rough shape and making it fully functional again. Enjoy!

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.