rip, calstar's leon todd

Started by alantani, March 14, 2019, 10:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Herbert Leon Todd
JUNE 5, 1930 – MARCH 7, 2019
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Truly a sad day for the fishing community. Took rod blank building to the next level. RIP
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gman_WC

Walnut Creek, CA

conchydong

Even though I am a East coaster, I love my Calstars. I have 5 of them. RIP Mr. Todd. Hope the family keeps up the tradition.

reel man

I will miss Leon, and hope the good Lord welcomes him home.

Ron Jones

I'm just glad my grandfather finally has someone up there that can build him a decent rod to go with what Carl has been dreaming up. We will miss all three of them.

I'd say I'll start fishing something from California Tackle Co. in his honor, but those that know me know that I've been doing that for decades.

RIP, and thank you for what you gave those of us that must fish.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

There's a legend.  Calstar is a big name but, like Ron says, before Calstar he was one of the head guys at California Tackle Company (that later became Sabre).  Leon Todd and California Tackle were in the absolute first wave of fiberglass rod makers and he had a huge influence on how the technology and the industry developed.  A real pioneer.  Those early 1950's California Tackle Company, Cal Royal tobacco rods remain just really good rods to this day.  Better than the competing pre-Garcia Conolon and as good a pre-Browning Silaflex... thanks mostly to Leon Todd.
-steve

Alto Mare

At 89, Mr Todd must have taking good care of himself.  I wonder when that picture was taken, he looked really good.
RIP Mr. Todd.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

that's an early photo from years ago.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I only met him once, in the mid to late 80s with the old man at a fishing show in Anaheim I think. Didn't realize who he was until years later.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

RIP Leon.
I did not know you, but your Legend will live on.
Life is Good!