Bringing it old school

Started by 1badf350, May 27, 2019, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Hit Jennettes Pier this weekend to pin rig for Cobia. Figured if the bluefish were thick i could land a few on this old school combo. They did not disappoint. Combo is a first model Penn Spinfisher 722 on a Garcia Conolon 2508T 6'-6" rod.
It was a lot of fun!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

David Hall

what a great combo.  looks like it was a fun time too.  hard to beat a day like that no matter what gear your using.

Spyderman

When they rebuilt Jeanette's Pier, they did it right.  I'm amazed at how many of the old wood pile fishing piers are still standing along the Outer Banks.  Ever hooked up with a weighty fish while pier fishing, and had to walk the pier back towards the shore to land 'em?  I had to when I hooked up with a sand shark.  Wanted to release it with as little harm done as possible.

Alto Mare

Very nice set up Chris! I'm sure it was a lot of fun.
Love it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

1badf350

Thanks guys it was a lot of fun.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Crow

Way to go ! Vintage tackle seems to make the experience...better, somehow !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 27, 2019, 11:44:31 AMFigured if the bluefish were thick i could land a few on this old school combo. They did not disappoint. Combo is a first model Penn Spinfisher 722 on a Garcia Conolon 2508T 6'-6" rod.

Ha-ha, been there done that when it was new-school, lol.  ;D :'(
That little reel was part of my arsenal for a long time, catching snapper blues.

So what are those fish graphics on the planks? Out of focus, can't read them.

George6308

Nice classic rig. Brings back memory's of past fishing trips .

1badf350

Nelz,
When the old pier was destroyed by a hurricane in 2003 the state of NC started rebuilding it as a mostly concrete structure with wood planking. As construction was nearing completion, they started the "own a plank" initiative. You could pay a couple hundred dollars to have a message printed on a corian tile fish that was inlaid into a pier plank.
It was extremely popular and no more are available.
Visit the Jennettes Pier website for more info. It is probably the nicest pier you will ever see
-Chris

nelz

Wow, very nice indeed! Gotta add it to my bucket list. Around these parts, everybody's anxiously awaiting completion of the new-improved Pompano Beach Pier. Should be pretty awesome too, but there's just delay after delay and it never gets done.

steelfish

nice combo and great fishing Chris

this gives me some desires to use the garcia Mitchel 305 with my fenwick UL for some spotted bay bass on 6# mono line
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Old Skool!  The only way to go....my first salmon was on a Garcia Conlon, albeit with a Mitchell 300, on the Smith River in NorCal....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Great combo there Chris. We use the 720/722 for crappie fishing...top notch reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

Hehe,,,,,,you get alot of looks on that pier with vintage gear,,,,,,,,great job my friend,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 27, 2019, 05:14:15 PM
When the old pier was destroyed by a hurricane in 2003 the state of NC started rebuilding it as a mostly concrete structure with wood planking.
What brings down a pier are waves hitting the bottom of the deck.  The deck is lifted and the pilings are loosened with it.  The new thinking is to make the decking sacrificial so it will blow out leaving the piling structure intact.  Then, after the storm, retrieve the decking from the beach and rebuild.  The last time they rebuilt Bob Hall Pier they made the decking in sections of hollow core concrete that would float when lifted up by a wave.  Hopefully, with this approach, they will be able to make piers a little shorter (nearer to the water).

Nice rig and nice blue too Chris.
-steve