Penn Fenwick rod

Started by Donnyboat, March 16, 2019, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Just brought two full roller rods, a Fenwick full roller rod by Fenwick Australia, 24Kg- 640 IGFA 50Lb, Fen glass, is this model as good as the American rods.

Also a Kilwell rod made in New Zealand, it has kilwell international, 205M ,6ft 8", 24Kg full roller rod, can anyone give me any info on both of these rod, I paid AU $35.00 for each of them. cheers Don. They are both in good condition.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Donny the Fenwick is no different than the ones sold in the US. That Fenglass model 640 was only made for a year or two before Fenwick dropped those model numbers. Im guessing if it has a serial number it starts with the letter S.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

Thanks for your quick reply Chris, it does not have a serial number on it, I know its hard to tell without photos, but would you have any idea of the value, it is not in bad condition, the roller guides have a little patarna on them, but should clean up okay, its not as bad as the St crois Kona, that I restored. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Donny they are nice rods but dont hold a ton of value. I think you did great at $35AU
I believe they normally trade for $50-$75US, with mint examples hovering around $100
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Donnyboat

Thanks again Chris, sounds good to me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

boon

Got a photo of the Kilwell? And is it definitely an NZ one? They have a bunch of their rods made in ?china?, whereas the NZ ones are specifically "Kilwell NZ".

If it's an NZ one then you stole it for $35.

Donnyboat

Thanks Boon & Chris, it has NZ on the sticker, I sent them  an email, for more info, they asked me for photos, that I sent today, so maybe I can give more details when they get back to me, than I may have to lean on Mike Currie, or Wayne to place them on this post, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 18, 2019, 12:51:13 PM
... I may have to lean on Mike Currie, or Wayne to place them on this post, cheers Don.

Don,

YES, I am here to assist when  you want to post photos of your Fenwick rod!

Email them to me and I'll post them for you.

My First Fly rod at age 14 was a Fenwick! Anytime Buddy Boy,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Gee Wayne, you have been a bit quiet lately, good to here your still alive, thanks for the offer, just get the info from Kilwell first, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

High everyone, this is the info I received from Jeff Tuavera of Kilwell- It looks like the international game rod brand, started in the early 80`s, the blue & red bindings show that it was F Glass, blank that the rod was constructed on, if it had have been brown & orange, it would have been S Glass, model was about 1984 or 5, and retailed for $ NZ 390.00todays international 24Kg rod, with detachable aluminium but is $NZ1000.00. sorry there is none of the original sticker available. I will get some photos to wayne soon, they were taken before I washed the rod, cheers Don, have`nt done any resurch on the Penn fenwick yet.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, yes wayne has posted the text & photos of the Kilwell rod as you all have possibly worked out, the photos were taken before I washed the rods, I will try to forward the photos of the Penn Fenwick rod soon, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Ive actually never heard of a Penn Fenwick rod. The model 640 50lb class rod you mentioned in the original post is a Fenwick model number designation that was discontinued in 1979.
The 24KG rated Fenglass rod that was added in 1983 is a one piece rod
-Chris

El Pescador

Don asked me to post a few photos of his newly acquired Fenwicks Rods, here there the photos, Now more from Don from western Australia.

And please tell us, if you have fished them, how did they handle the big beasts from your local waters!!!!    Wayne

Donnyboat

Chris thanks for all your good info, & thanks Wayne for posting the photos, as I said before the rods were not washed before the photos were taken, ha ha niether was the seat, I will take the mold & patarna of the runners as I service them, after all that I will let you know how they fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Don, send more photos when you made the rods "pruddy"!!!!

I'll post them,

Wayne