curado

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here's the link to the schematics....

http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematic...%20CU200B5.pdf

and here's the reel.

to remove the left side plate, flip up the turnkey dial (key #1510) and turn it counter clockwise until you can pull the entire left side plate assembly (key #1509) off.

set the left side plate and spool aside.

let's pull the handle and star, including the handle nut plate screw (key #795, the handle nut plate (key #1993), the handle nut (key #797), the handle (key #1994), and the star drag (key #1486).

now remove the star drag spring (key #1106), the star drag nut (key #1365), the star drag spacer (key #1289), and the two drag spring washers (key #15).

remove the right side plate screws. note that three are short (key #786) and one in the 6 o'clock position is long (key #1998).

remove the left side plate screw/multi-purpose screw (key #987).

pull the thumb rest (key #2044) straight forward. this is the tricky part.

the right side plate assembly (key #1997) will now lift straight up.

you now have full access to the right side plate.

here's a neat little trick. the main drive gear (key #1213) is often stuck! put the handle back on, grab the main gear and twist the handle back and forth at the same time your lift the main gear off.

i've lined up the drag washer A (key# 1214), the drive gear (key #1213), drag washer C (key #1212), the key washer (key #1211), and the roller clutch inner tube (key #1206).

the carbontex washer that you need is the calcutta 200 drag set. it fits a bunch of different reels!

throw a thick coat of drag grease on both carbontex washers....

and rebuild the gear cluster.

lube the right side plate bearing (key #194).

the right side plate (key #1997) drops straight down.

push the thumb rest (key #2044) straight back and into place.

re-install the left side plate multi-purpose screw (key #987).

re-install all four right side plate screws (key #786 and 1998). the long screw goes in the 6 o'clock position.

re-install the drag spring washers (key #15) in a "()" configuration. then install the star drag spacer (key #1289) and star drag nut (key #1365).

install the star drag spring (key #1106) and the star drag (key #1486). push the star drag straight down onto the drive shaft (key #1491) until it clears the "shoulders" of the drive shaft.

push the handle (key #1994) down until it rests on the "shoulders" of the drive shaft, add a little grease and tighten down the handle nut (key #797).

install the handle nut plate (key #1993) and screw (key #795).

lube the right spool bearing (no key #).

lube the left side plate bearing (key #194).

re-install the spool and left side plate and you're done!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Craig N

This tutorial has ignited a serious addiction to this forum!  While visiting my fiance, I made a stop into the Cupertino Fisherman's Warehouse and the sales associate introduced me to the word "carbontex".  When I got back to NY, I did some internet searches and came across this tutorial, which gave me to the confidence to go ahead and swap out the drags on all of my B series Curados. They have given new life to these reliable but slightly tired reels of mine.  Thanks so much! Seeing that I will be moving to CA soon, I am starting to build a saltwater lineup, and this site will definitely help me in the future as well.  Thanks again!

-Craig

alantani

craig, i live a mile south of the fisherman's warehouse.  send me a pm when you're going to be in the neighborhood next.  there's always cold beer in the frig!  alan

Craig N

I appreciate the kind offer. I will be in the area permanently in October, I just may have to take you up on that!

-CN

ezhoe

He Alan.. found this article to help me service my 3 cu200 i have had for 12 years.. thanks a bunch for all you do. I am going to order the smooth drags and install--ezhoe
It ain't easy bein ez

anglingarchitect

Whats with all the metal shaving around the Paul bushing?

jeffo

Hi Alan, do you know if this is this a similar reel to the curado 200g6? I am just about to atempt to pull apart mine.

gackes

I have a Curado CU 101B that I purchased 6-8 years ago.  While I have routinely serviced this reel I am now unable to unlock and remove the spool.  The lever flips but it will not turn to unlock and remove the spool.  Do you have a recommended method to unseeze the spool.  I am concerned that any more pressure will damage the reel.

Zimbass

Those side plates sticking are a common problem where the reels are used in salt. Applying some grease on the frame where the side plate fits avoids this occurring.

The only way I have found to remove the side cover is to soak it in hot water. This will cause the metal frame to expand at a different rate to the plastic. There is a Shimano tool that will fit on the turn key dial, to allow you to put more force in undoing the dial. The tool would be used by most service centers that work on Shimano bait casters.If you are careful, once you have soaked the side, you can try a pair of pliers  to apply force. Once the corrosion seal is broken, the side should come loose.

Give it a go, and let us know how it works out for you.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

gackes

Will try the hot water method and report back.  Thanks for the tip.

retiredandfishing

I'm working on a Shimano Curado CU-200 which looks exactly like the one in this this thread. Need some advice from someone who has more experience on this reel than I do.  LOL.

The customer lost the cast control cap, cast control spacer, spool tension spacer and spool tension spring.  Wondering if all these parts from the newer CU-200's such the CU-200 G-5, G-6 will fit this model, as none of the old part numbers come up as available.  Also, I see that on the two reels I just mentioned, that the spool tension spring is no longer available, but on the CU-2001 I see a spool tension spring is available.  Wondering if that will work on CU-200.  The drag washers need replaced as well, going to get carbon fiber drags for it. I remember seeing somewhere on a thread here ,that there are some that fit.

The key/part numbers I come up with from the G-5 and G-6 are:

BNT 4332 Cast control cap
BNT 1696 Cast control spacer B
BNT 2224 Spool tension spacer
BNT 3478 Spool tension spring  (no longer available)

And spool tension spring from the CU-2001
BNT-5306 (available)

Most appreciative of any help.   

Thanks, Steve

alantani

can you get me a list of the part numbers from the original reel that you need?

philaroman

as I recall, those were not particularly strong or significant

you can reshape one that's "almost right", or just make one out of almost anything

Zimbass

The original part number refers to the whole cast control assembly, BNT1487.

I doubt that you would find those at any online seller. All the parts are simple to make from cutting and shaping parts from other reels, except for the cap. You would need to find this, as the one from the Curado G series will not fit.

Someone on here may have something stashed away, or have a donor reel they could help with.

Best.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

well, i have a bnt 1487.......