STURGEON FISHING 3/16/2019

Started by Dominick, March 17, 2019, 04:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

My Grandpa used to catch Sturgeon in the Columbia River near Hood River Oregon. I have all his old pictures in my "treasure box."

He loved making poor man's lobster with chunks of sturgeon. The recipe posted on the site works really well.

Nick

mhc

Looks like a good day out with a nice looking fish to top it off. Also good to see you've matched your outfit with the intended target species! ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Darin Crofton

Great catch, Dominick, looks like a drag puller for sure! It reminds me of a Cobia that we catch here, they're excellent to eat anyway you like.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Fishy247

Awesome man! Nice fish! I've only had sturgeon once or twice, but it was fantastic! One thing that a buddy of mine recommended kinda goes against everything we're taught about fish handling. Leave it in the fridge for a few days and the meat will relax and tenderize itself, like aging beef, I guess. It can be rather tough if you try cooking it the same day that you catch it.

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on March 17, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: Dominick on March 17, 2019, 06:20:07 PM
I did not like the texture.  The texture was like a medium cooked steak.  It was like chewing meat.
Like medium steak but more gooshy.  That's why people rave about smoked sturgeon but seldom mention sturgeon steaks.  Smoking firms up the meat.  

Most commercial sturgeon fisheries were all about the caviar but the fishermen were left with huge quantities of meat that nobody liked.  Hence smoked sturgeon.  If they didn't have caviar there would be more healthy populations of sturgeon around today.
-steve

I was hoping for some roe in this fish but it was a large male.  Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 19, 2019, 10:09:31 AM
It's a white sturgeon.  It is very tasty.  I pan sauteed a piece in butter with a little salt and pepper.  I thought the taste was very good.  I did not like the texture.  The texture was like a medium cooked steak.  It was like chewing meat.  I suppose there might be a recipe to tenderize it somewhat.  I'll research that.  Dominick
A splash of Zin would have taken care of it ;D. with that said...I never had sturgeon.

Nice looking fish and boat. Oh yes, you look pretty good yourself ;)

Sal
You know zin makes the world go round (literally).   ;D ;D  Dominick

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 19, 2019, 06:19:06 PM
Awesome man! Nice fish! I've only had sturgeon once or twice, but it was fantastic! One thing that a buddy of mine recommended kinda goes against everything we're taught about fish handling. Leave it in the fridge for a few days and the meat will relax and tenderize itself, like aging beef, I guess. It can be rather tough if you try cooking it the same day that you catch it.

We'll see.  I have one piece left so I'll age it and try it again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

If it's been in the fridge since Saturday, then tonight or tomorrow night should be perfect.

gstours

For my 2 sents, beer batter is my favorite.  Garlic powder and black pepper. Easy.  Try it.🤷‍♀️

steelfish

nice fish Dominick.

looks pretty cool, but not in my eat-bucket list.
there are many fish that I will gladly catch and release if I ever catch them, Sturgeon is one of those.
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 19, 2019, 10:09:31 AM
Nice looking fish and boat. Oh yes, you look pretty good yourself ;)

Sal
You couldn't even see his chest hair!
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Nice fish brother.....I've hooked to sturgeon while on the Sacramento River......got one to the dock and broke off the other I hooked off the bank and it pulled off 30 yards of line on the first run and broke me off on a dock piling.....strong fish.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Ron, you have to get a chest, before you put hair on it, Dominic thanks for the photos, nice report, nice fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat