what do you think. Fake Penn International 6 ?

Started by Navidad Nutcase, March 17, 2019, 01:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

While cruising FleaBay this morning I came across this listing.  Because these things are so rare, I couldn't help but wonder. How did 1 get all the way to Japan - still in new condition - with the box, the bag, an emblem but missing the rod clamp and bolts  -- and note the sticker on the foot !
Greg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-International-6-Big-Game-NearMint/273745202880?hash=item3fbc7c4ec0:g:pLgAAOSw~lRcfhHT
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Swami805

Looks legit,I'd bet Japan was a good market for Penn. The sticker could be from the Penn distributor there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Navidad Nutcase

Here is another interesting ( to me , anyway ) ''abnomally " I found. Also on Ebay. A different Penn International 6 listing. In very nice shape but I have never seen an eccentric lever knob like this. Has anyone else? I'm refering to the loop stirrup ? ) and also to the fact that it appears as if the ''knob '' is seperate from the lever. My 6 eccentric lever & knob are all one piece. I didn't think Penn made these reels long enough to have any upgrades, changes or choices.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Reel 224

When USA manufactures lend there product name to outside country's, then it's fare game to what ever >:(

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

1badf350

Quote from: Navidad Nutcase on March 17, 2019, 04:06:36 PM
Here is another interesting ( to me , anyway ) ''abnomally " I found. Also on Ebay. A different Penn International 6 listing. In very nice shape but I have never seen an eccentric lever knob like this. Has anyone else? I'm refering to the loop stirrup ? ) and also to the fact that it appears as if the ''knob '' is seperate from the lever. My 6 eccentric lever & knob are all one piece. I didn't think Penn made these reels long enough to have any upgrades, changes or choices.
Greg
I have seen that loop style drag lever in penn brochure/catalog pictures and on one reel in person. I believe only the very earliest reels had them. 54Bullseye might be able to post a picture of the catalog page
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

reel man

The very early engagement levers did have this "loop", and I have 2 or 3 of them.

Navidad Nutcase

Thanx all for the info. I had never seen this loop on any reel. Seems like yet another way to date the earlier ones.
Cheers
Greg

reel man

The manufacturer's production date is the first 2 numbers of the serial number