When should Carbon Fiber Drags be replaced?

Started by steelhead_killer, March 17, 2019, 08:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

With this last bunch of reels I have drags that look shinny, some look good as new and others have cracked and broken.  About half were greased and half not greased.  The shinny wear is clearly visible on the non-greased carbon fiber drags as they appear to be glazed and smooth.  What is the best practice when deciding when these need to be replaced or just soaked and cleaned and re-installed?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

alantani

no one could fault you for replacing them.  sometimes, though, i'll have kids that really can't afford expensive repairs.  i've just slathered drag grease onto the grungiest carbon fiber drags and they've worked just fine!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reel man

Turn the drag stack upside down, grease and reinstall. I'd bet the shiny drag came out from the bottom of the drag stack.

handi2

I have a charter captain, Capt Dellyen, as one of my many customers. I just finished 2 buckets full of 113H reels that are going on their 5th year with the same Carbontex drag washers.

I just scrub them off on a towel until they are clean and use them again. They are doing just fine.

Next season I will change them.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Tiddlerbasher

If they look 'polished' I just scrub'em with a firm bristled brush (tooth brush at the moment) them grease 'em again. If they are cracked they obviously get replaced.

Cor

Yip, I tend to reuse wear items including drag washers and have not ever had problems with drag washers that have been re used.    When broken they get replaced obviously.

In many reels I still use Smoothdrags old smoothies, I prefer te feel of those, more direct.
Cornelis

Frank

As others have stated, if not cracked I rub them on a towel laid flat on the countertop, grease and reinstall.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Donnyboat

When Steel Man said reverse the drag stack, that was the CF washers, not the metal washers, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

I'm not sure if it is right or wrong, but I have replaced carbon fiber washers that looked as they were hit with a clothes iron. They were really compressed and shiny, like a piece of hard plastic and came out of larger Senators.
I haven't seen the same on smaller reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Sal those are the ones that concern me.  They seem overly compressed, shinny and slick.  I will clean them up and rough them a bit and see how they perform.  These are on Shimano Tekota 700/800's that are used for deep drop halibut fishing with heavy weight and big fish.  Thanks for all the feedback!

Andy
><)))">