Tiagra 50 Wides

Started by handi2, March 17, 2019, 10:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I received 6 of these in decent shape. A large local tackle shop has been servicing these reel for the last 5 years.

The tail plate has never been taken off. I had to drill off the screw heads on 15 screws to get the tail plate off then get the studs out.

The head plate and all internals were in great shape.

All 6 of these reels have the older drag cover that screws off like the TLD reels. I have 2 of them that are not coming off. I have gotten them to move but they get stuck. I have oiled and heated them with no good results. I'm just about to ruin the cover plates notches with only one good place left for the wrench to fit.

Any help is appreciated..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

I have been there.

Try an adjustable oil filter wrench with a rubbertube or piece of rubber wrapped around the upper portion of the drag cover, and put the spool in a vice press with something (like rubbertube/wood/cloth to protect if.  You could also make a radiused wood jig with rubber liner for a large benchtop vise and secure the drag cover with the press.  Use the adjustable filter wrench on the spool. 

I have almost drilled holes in a cover to help with removal, but havn't had to yet.

Good Luck!
John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Thanks John.

I always grease the threads with Cal's on all drag covers (cooling shields).

The vise will be used tomorrow. I had to stop before I ruined something.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Don't think that I have ever serviced a Tiagra but I currently have a new one on the bench so wish me luck.

My usual fine work kinda makes this like migrating from Swiss watches to tractors!

The "leather belt type" oil filter wrench is something I have used on stubborn TLD drag covers and the like with success so definitely worth a go.

It cannot be as bad as an Okuma Titus Gold game reel. Tried everything to no avail. Finally upon consulting the company tech, I smashed the drag cover to pieces and ordered a new one. Another example of why I will no longer service Okuma reels.

Definitely getting older and wiser.
~