Need help replacing drags in 4/0 senator

Started by Monster1, March 18, 2019, 08:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

I grease everything - corrosion proofing.

Monster1

I got my drags in the mail yesterday.  It included new stainless washers.   Everything went together well and is put back together.  I gave all metal parts a light film of marine bearing grease and a light film on the carbon fiber discs.  They drag is nice and smooth now. No jerkiness at all.  Just a few questions. I followed the diagram to the letter when assembling the drag stack. The eared washer just barely fit into the gear with the ears lined into the slots. I was extremely careful to make sure the ears stayed aligned as I assembled the reel. Will the stack compress as the drags are tightened and hopefully break in? I thought about removing a washer but felt this is how it's supposed to be since I'm using factory parts.  Also, the dang metal trim rings on the drive side  don't want to mate properly with the side plate. The screws are in all the way and not overtight, but there's a slight gap between the plates and the trim rings on the top face of the reel where no screws are holding the plate to the frame.  The trim rings aren't bent.  I put them on a table and they are flat and true.  I've never had an issue with this before. Any thoughts?

foakes

Oftentimes, the Bakelite sideplates swell just enough over the years to not accept the trim ring properly.

What I do is remove the crank and ring —

Then just use a flat file to run a few laps around the edge of the plate where the ring nests.

Nothing shows — and it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Monster, a couple of things.  One, you should have used Cal's grease on the drag stack.  After greasing wipe off the excess.  Two, I don't quite understand the ring problem.  It's always best to post a photograph of the problem.  If I understand correctly the chrome ring does not fit flush with the right side plate and the ring is not warped.  There must be something stuck to the grease around the ring.  Take the ring off and check under the ring.  If it is clean then I would switch rings with the left side.  Very strange?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

I was typing over Fred.  That is another solution.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Monster1 on March 26, 2019, 06:51:09 PM
The eared washer just barely fit into the gear with the ears lined into the slots. I was extremely careful to make sure the ears stayed aligned as I assembled the reel. Will the stack compress as the drags are tightened and hopefully break in? I thought about removing a washer but felt this is how it's supposed to be since I'm using factory parts. 

That's normal for the eared washer to be right at the edge of the top of the gear. It will compress a little with use. Just make sure when the drag is backed off all the way there isn't enough play to let that washer get over the rim. I like to set mine when fully backed off there is still just a tick of pressure on the drags. That can be accomplished with an extra metal washer on top, or a delrin on top, or even an extra spring washer.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Monster1

Cool.  Thanks for the help.  Sorry for the confusion.  Yes.  The trim rings on the drive side side plate don't seat completely.  You can see maybe .5mm gap between the bakalite and trim rings. It's not bad and it doesn't affect the performance.   Also, I only used marine grease on the metal parts.  I used Cal's to lightly coat the CF discs.  It's done correctly and ready to fish.

Lunker Larry

Ref the drag. Hold the spool and crank the handle tightening it down now and then until you can hardly turn the handle. You need to squeeze excess grease out.This will seat the washers.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Donnyboat

Monster, Fred was correct about filing the face plate, but take your time, so the file does not slide over the rim, & mark the Plate, after you get it to fit, place some marine grease between the chrome ring & the plate, good luck, & we want photos of the fish you catch, nothing better than to catch a good fish on a reel you have serviced, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat