handheld vhf radio recommendations

Started by Three se7ens, March 19, 2019, 03:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Im looking to do a lot more open water/beach front fishing from my kayak this summer, and Ill be wanting to keep a handheld VHF on me for that extra bit of security.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I dont think I need a high transmit power (generally staying within a couple of miles of land), but compact and very waterproof is important. 

SoCalAngler

I use a Standard Horizon HX290 (this model is no  longer made) as a backup, for launching (truck to boat) and such. Also instead of using the "seek" feature for the marine radio in the boat I use the handheld along with the boats radio to monitor 2 channels at one time while on the water. This rechargeable model is about 8-9 years old and has held up fine. It is about time to look at another handheld as 8 years was a good run IMO. I sure will check out the SH models again. This radio has only been used in a saltwater environment and has never been in the water, thank god. I'm very happy with their product and this radio can really reach out distance wise, you think you may never need it but it is nice to know if you need it is there.

Ron Jones

Even as close as you plan on being, DSC is realy nice comfort. Santiago would have wanted one, I can tell you that now. I'm about as well trained on VHF as you can be, and I would not give someone a VHF radio without DSC today, and the GPS to make it functional. Power should be 6 watts variable. Get into crummy atmospheric conditions and you'll apreciate each and every one of them.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

rscotth

I carry a handheld West Marine VHF160 in my ditch bag and it has the 1/2.5/6 watt power selection, plus it floats. The lithium ion battery has been impressive with days of on time in standby.

West Marine has these on sale periodically but if you go to their website the Standard Horizon HX210 is comparable. Everything Standard Horizon makes is good and it has 1/2.5/6 watt power settings & floats as well for under $100. Anything over $49 dollars is shipped free.

One other item I would highly recommend is a PLB. I never take my boat out with my PLB. As a matter of fact I have two in my ditch bag (ACR ResQLink & a Fast Find Ranger). If you do get a PLB remember to register it with NOAA / SARSAT so they have some basic contact / vessel information. These are mandatory in my book but you be the judge for your own safety. Just something to consider- be safe out there.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 19, 2019, 03:49:15 AM
Im looking to do a lot more open water/beach front fishing from my kayak this summer, and Ill be wanting to keep a handheld VHF on me for that extra bit of security.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I dont think I need a high transmit power (generally staying within a couple of miles of land), but compact and very waterproof is important. 

When I started out the Standard Horizon was the go to Radio for most the Kayakers in Northern California, it still is (I have 751 and I think the other is a 110, GF has a 120 which floats).   They hold up well, transmit and receive very well. and have a good price point for the features. That said Icom makes a good Marine handheld as well.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!