XN Cortez Classic Squidder

Started by mhc, March 19, 2019, 12:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

What a transformation Mike! I have a feeling you could make anything you want, just by using hand tools.
This is crazy talent.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Mike,  Do you practice wizardry on the weekends?  You're a sorcerer with metal and probably any other material too.
Really nice, precise work!
I can't help but wonder what you would come up with if you started from scratch and built your own reel.  It's very difficult to sorta reverse engineer like your doing in making the parts match up with Tom's plates.
I love Tom's plates, so don't think I'm knocking them for a second, just wondering.
Thanks for showing how things are done,
Dom

Reel 224

MCH; You got that right. Stainless is hard to work with as far as tooling goes. If and when I get the time I'm going to setup my work shop in the basement with my son so I can start milling things. I have a two piece Gaff I am working on fabricating as a flying gaff. Some other gun work with my son Anthony witch is wanting to get into some gun smith fab work.

eventually Anthony is going to work the shop, I'm getting to old and crippled up anymore to do the heavy work.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2019, 12:53:08 PM
I have a feeling you could make anything you want, just by using hand tools.

Quote from: broadway on March 23, 2019, 07:44:17 PM
I can't help but wonder what you would come up with if you started from scratch and built your own reel.

Thanks Sal & Dom, It would be nice to be able to make a complete reel and while it's true a lot of the basic parts can be made with simple tools, making precise components like side plates and spools need precision and control that is way beyond my crude capabilities, unfortunately!  :(  
I'll need to leave that to grown-up professionals with the expertise and machining equipment needed, people here like Tom H, Alan C  and of course Robert Janssen, who have all made complete reels.

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 23, 2019, 08:40:06 PM
If and when I get the time I'm going to setup my work shop in the basement with my son so I can start milling things.    

Sounds good Joe, I would love a lathe and milling machine but can't seem to justify buying them (and the tooling) to experiment on a couple of reels a year.  :-\

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Reel 224

Yes the expense is high if you don't have work for it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mhc

The latest results of the DIY anodizing process I'm using has given me enough confidence to give this frame a 1 MIL thick clear coat to match the siver side plates that 'were' on my Cortez Conversions Classic Squidder 146;

These plates have the 'one piece dog and post' double dogs and Bryan Young five stack carbon drags installed;

And the finished reel ready to spool;

That just about wraps up this project for now - unless I think of a way to use the CC 146 frame.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike - mucho applause - fantastic work 8)

Swami805

It looks spot on! Matches the plates to a TEE. What a collection of one-off reels you've built,waiting for the next episode! Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

Nice clean work and you showed us all that you can do this without expensive equipment.

Bravo!

Joe/Off the Hook Rod & Reel

Donnyboat

Great work Mike, thanks for sharing it with us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Congrats on your anodizing success Mike !!

Love the extra narrow cortez squidder. It's a home run !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Beautiful work, Mike.  I'm looking for a flaw, but can't seem to find one. 
Like Sal has mentioned... Sure would love to see you build one from scratch. You certainly have the skills.
Sure can't wait to see a fish on the other end.
Super impressive,
Dom

Dominick

Nice work Mike.  You've created a beauty.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

I have almost all of the colors of Tom' Squidders, yours will be hard to beat.
Amazing talent Mike!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

milne

Fantastic result Mike, I found this really interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

Col