South Bend 900 series spinning reels

Started by festus, March 19, 2019, 03:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I was studying some South Bend spinning reel schematics  and found at least four of their reels that run on worm drive engineering similar to the D-A-M Quicks and Penns of the 1960s. 

https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/south-bend-reel-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

Can anyone tell me more about these reels?  The lettering on the back side of the rotor makes me think maybe these were built by the same manufacturer that made the Daiwa 8000 series that also ran on a worm drive.

Here's about all I can find on the 'net about them.

The 925 is the ultralight.

The 930 holds 250 yards of 8 lb mono.

The 935 cost $27.80 at KMart, I'm assuming around early to mid 1970s. It holds 265 yds of 10 lb mono.

The 960 is the heavy hitter of the series, weighs 18.3 oz and holds 250 yds of 20 lb mono.

festus

I found a little more.  Also an ad from Chappies. These seem to be decent reels.

Diamond Hard Line Roller spins on slick Teflon inner sleeve.

Quick Change Spool push button convenience without affecting drag setting or strength.

"Magnum Drag" 14 braking surfaces give smooth, steady drag; wide adjustment range; slip-proof power for the toughest fish.

Sealed Pick-Up Housing keeps water out of bearings, is dynamically balanced without weights for top smoothness and balance.

"Dynamatic Bail" no fail bail; fast, easy trip action works every time; can't bind, can't accidentally open or close, can't tangle line.

"Lube-Pump" Crank Handle exclusive design pressure-lubricates crankshaft bearing.

Selective Anti-Reverse exclusive "sliding block" design, placed ahead of gears, eliminates stress from gears, shafts, bearings.
Helical Gears spiral, machine-cut gears mounted on stainless steel shafts provide smooth, powerful and trouble-free operation.

mo65

The 900 series generally bring twice or more than the other South Bends. I'd say that's a reflection of the design. I have a 925 somewhere around here I plan to dive into someday. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

They came out in the late '60s. Their anti-reverse design works against the notches in the pinion tube ahead of the worm gear. That is a good thing, as long as the A/R dog is of quality material. A much better design than a ratchet gear on the back side of the main gear or in conjunction with the crank handle.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: mo65 on March 19, 2019, 04:00:33 PM
   The 900 series generally bring twice or more than the other South Bends. I'd say that's a reflection of the design. I have a 925 somewhere around here I plan to dive into someday. 8)
Good, I hope you get around to it soon, Mike, I'm lookin' forward to your tutorial.  One of those 925 went for more than I wanted to pay a few days ago, I think over 60 bucks plus shipping.  At the time l had no idea it was a worm drive. 

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 19, 2019, 04:03:48 PM
They came out in the late '60s. Their anti-reverse design works against the notches in the pinion tube ahead of the worm gear. That is a good thing, as long as the A/R dog is of quality material. A much better design than a ratchet gear on the back side of the main gear or in conjunction with the crank handle.
I'm following what you're saying, Tommy, just can't put it into perspective how those anti-reverse parts line up.  Are the notches at my arrow?

Gfish

Cool!, an unknowen model to me. Less parts and lookin heavy duty. Good lookin drag. "Sealed pick-up housing"--- wonder what that means? Indeed, an anti-reverse that engages the pinion=best type I know of.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 19, 2019, 04:23:53 PM
I'm following what you're saying, Tommy, just can't put it into perspective how those anti-reverse parts line up.  Are the notches at my arrow?

Yes, and it's a two dog system which isn't quite as reliable as one dog. It's not terrible but you have an extra spring to rely on besides the two dogs.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Quote from: Gfish on March 19, 2019, 04:32:59 PM
Cool!, an unknowen model to me. Less parts and lookin heavy duty. Good lookin drag. "Sealed pick-up housing"--- wonder what that means? Indeed, an anti-reverse that engages the pinion=best type I know of.
Yeah, that sealed pickup housing is something I questioned, looking at the schematic I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

mo65

Are there actually two AR dogs there? Or is the top one just a lever to control the lower one? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Mo, part 53 (lower) is labeled the "non-reverse pawl."  Part 55 (upper) is labeled the "non-reverse arm."

I'm not that mechanically inclined, but worked as a draftsman for several years and it still has me stumped.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on March 19, 2019, 04:59:14 PM
  Are there actually two AR dogs there? Or is the top one just a lever to control the lower one? ???

6 activates 55 which activates 53. 53 is the actual dog. In my mind, though, no matter what they call them, they're a ddd, double dog deal.   :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE