Penn no.49 rubbing issue

Started by TheReelShop, March 16, 2020, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: TheReelShop on March 16, 2020, 11:50:13 PM
I removed the line. Nothing looked out of place, but the right side " bowl I guess you might call it" , I can turn it with my hand. Spool is shot then correct?
... unless you can take a punch and tap/dimple that brass ring all the way around to tighten up the flange.  Then file the outer lip of the flange until it does not rub.  Sort of like brain surgery, but also cheap entertainment and you have nothing to loose at this point.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on March 17, 2020, 03:34:15 AM
The aluminum spools much better than the oder metal spools because they handle mono without issues; mono compaction often warps the older spools.
It all depends on the type of fishing.
These reels were used with wire line and some still do use it today.
Wire line would destroy the aluminum spool.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: oc1 on March 17, 2020, 03:43:35 AM
Quote from: TheReelShop on March 16, 2020, 11:50:13 PM
I removed the line. Nothing looked out of place, but the right side " bowl I guess you might call it" , I can turn it with my hand. Spool is shot then correct?
... unless you can take a punch and tap/dimple that brass ring all the way around to tighten up the flange.  Then file the outer lip of the flange until it does not rub.  Sort of like brain surgery, but also cheap entertainment and you have nothing to loose at this point.
-steve

Haha does sound like brain surgery... complexx..... Maybe if it was my reel and even then I don't know if I'd do it.