matching rod for Makaira 8

Started by conor, October 02, 2011, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conor

Gents,
I am about to pull the trigger on a makaira 8 and wanted to get a feel for what rods guys were matching with it. Much like a paint brush, no one rod can do all that you want but I will likely use this combo for both bottom fishing and LR fishing. Anyone have any combos that seem to compliment eachother well?
Thanks!
Conor

Jaime

Hi Conor,
Here is what I just built for my Makaira 2, that is filled with 300 yds of 65# Spectra and a 25yd top shot of 50# 'Big Game'. 

Mud Hole 'Custom Builder Vertigal Jig' blank #jbvj 6060.  The blank is 6', rated for 40-60 line, and 6-12 oz jigs.  I used Fuji Sin II 'BHNNG' guides and the rod is Spiral Wrapped. 

It is for sure a 'multi purpose' rod.  I live in the East Cape of Baja Mexico and all of the fishing I do is either here, Panama, or
Christmas Island.  I think about the only thing this rod won't do is throw poppers or live bait.

Any way, hope this helps
Jaime

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TwistedCustomRods

Conor,
Congrats on the great purchase! A Mak 8 will be a great 40 pound reel and I would match it to something in the 7' or 7'6" range.  This will give you the perfect length to fish live bait on the longrange boat as well as being able to fish for bottom fish.  Rod-wise I'd look at something like the new Calstar 875 FL Grafighter.  This is a 40# rod that was made by Calstar for Fisherman's Landing in San Diego.  If you can get your hands on one, I'd pull the trigger on that.  If not, here are some other great options:
Calstar Grafighter 700MH
Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid 760H
Super Seeker CJBF70

Any one of those would be an excellent choice.
Need a new rod? Why not get a custom rod made for where you fish, how you fish, all the while fitting your personal style!?  http://www.twistedcustomrods.com