Okuma Mak 80w

Started by Noahg727, March 20, 2019, 02:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

So I just got a used mak 80w with 1 years work on a charter boat. It's got some scrapes and what not but otherwise mechanically sound. I exchanged my Santiago 80w for it and I have to say my immediate impression is that I liked the Santiago better? I have 2 Mak 50w's and love them. They are super smooth but this reel just seems a bit harder to reel under heavy loads than my Santiago? The freespool is underwhelming.  Also, I can't really get a nice smooth drag progression. It's like the reel is laboring to reel at when it at full. I'll prob never need full but I'm curious, is there anything I can do do A) make the reel, reel smoother or easier at the top of the drag curve. B) Get a more gradual/ full drag curve. It's hard to even get it to the full position when the reel will actually start reeling at the " 1" designation. Also worth noting. The reel just came back from Okuma for servicing. I can tell when I popped it open there was fresh grease in some areas, but overall not a job I'd be satisfied with myself. Could this have anything to do with it. Thoughts?

Noah

alantani

the pinion bearing should have been checked. the makairas have thrust bearings to lessen the load on the pinion bearing.  the two reels should be compared when set to the same drag settings.  it would help to have them side by side.  not sure what to say otherwise.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Thanks Alan,

So I finally cracked it open and really looked at it. Every single bearing is sealed and filled with grease? They don’t even spin freely when you give em a spin? I was under the assumption that the SEA reels came with open spool bearings coated with TSI 301? And being that they just came from Okuma, I assumed they just touched em up...well I’m relived now actually. I’ll give it the 1, 2 punch and get back to y’all. Pretty sure it’s going to be A okay.

Noah