Halibut Blues on SF Bay

Started by Crab Pot, March 20, 2019, 03:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Been a while sense I've been on the board. Got a new computer and lost all my fav's and passwords... ::)

My buddy and I have been hearing the California Halibut bite in the bay is starting to heat up so we gave it a shot on Friday, April 15th.

Launched at grey light out of Richmond and booked it south to Candlestick Point. The bay was lake flat and zero wind, 20 minutes later we were throwing our trolling rigs over.

1 pound balls, dodger, Hali rig with herring.

After burning a hole into the bay from Hunters Point to south of the Cow Palace for 3 hours we finally decided to pull up and head over to Alcatraz and Chrissy Field. Same results.

We had a good time trolling along Chrissy Field Beach, we were so close to the beach but still in 20+ feet of water. The folks on the beach asked what we we're fishing for, we told them Great Whites.

There was no live bait to be had but as luck would have it JP Bait at Pier 47 got a load late Friday and was open Saturday morning. $30 for a half scoop and $50 for a full. As luck would have it the Lovely Martha trolled the south bay the next day and landed 14 keepers. So they are there.

Great day regardless, the views were amazing and the SF skyline sure is growing.

Just a heads up, Richmond launch fee went up to $12 and only takes plastic.

I'm heading out again this Saturday.

Hope to have something to post.

Tight Lines,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

David Hall

What speed were you trolling at?

Crab Pot

David,

We were trying everything from 1.5 to 2.5.

1.9 has always been our sweet spot.

Weather is turning ugly for Friday/Saturday, may try Sunday now if the wind lays down.

Another buddy fished last Sunday for 3 shakers along the Rock Wall.

Dominick

Quote from: Crab Pot on March 21, 2019, 03:39:45 AM
David,

We were trying everything from 1.5 to 2.5.

1.9 has always been our sweet spot.

Weather is turning ugly for Friday/Saturday, may try Sunday now if the wind lays down.

Another buddy fished last Sunday for 3 shakers along the Rock Wall.

How far from the rock wall do you troll?  I lost a bunch of tackle getting snagged.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crab Pot

Dominick,

About 100 yards or so. Haven't had issues with snags in the past.

I have had snags in the Berkeley Flats though.

And I meant March 15th not April 15th...  ::)

Hope to be out again Sunday.

Gman_WC

Thanks for the report. With all this rain and run off,  I 'm going to wait awhile. And all that snow that's going to be melting in the Sierras in the next months not going to help with the silt. I hear of but question all these reports of the halibut hearing up online and in publications until I see it for myself.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA