What whipping thread and glue to use.

Started by Reel Beaker, March 20, 2019, 04:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So i have finally decided to try to replace a rod guide. Saw this video on youtube about guide replacement.

May i know what whipping thread and glue to use?
Can I use braid?

Swami805

If you don't care what it looks like you can use braid. Think of the tread like re-bar in concrete and then the finish locks it in place. You can go online and find everything in a kit for the finish. Most of the rod building sites sell them, get some thread there too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

My favorite place to get rod building supplies is "Mudhole"
Great selection and service...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Reel 224

VooDoo caries thread for wrapping and epoxy coating https://voodoorods.com/.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

X2 on voodoo. The diamond 2 finish is the best I've used. Very fast shipping,great products,best service in the bussiness
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

Have used Mudhole, very good.  Need to also mention Squidco in San Diego area; on a relatively small purchase (I was replacing 1 guide) they spent a good 10 minutes on the phone with answering my questions and giving me advice and tips, and everything arrived promptly and my first guide repair went well!

Reel Beaker

Captain64-200

No , only to cover and protect the thread .
Fred from Biarritz ,

sundancer

RB

I am also new to repairing/building Rods.  Started this winter as a simple winter Project..  I now have to hide all the 'stuff' from the wife...  (that and the army of Penn Reels...   ;D  )

what I have learned FWIIW...

Just about anything can be used to afix a Guide to a Rod (or Blank).  The Skill and, to a degree, the Products used will determine how nice the finish turns out. 

At the great chance of being flamed, I have used sewing thread, very light string, and winding thread (D size).  Top coats have ranged from SuperGlue (CA), Nail Polish - Hard as Nails, store brand Epoxy, Hobby Shop 2-Part Epoxy (15 minute), the 2-part Epoxy used for crafting (casting stuff), and recently Perma Gloss U-40.  Have even tried CA'ing the threads than using Marine Shrink Tube (with the adhesive) over the Thread.

Frankly, all have their place.

Now the disclaimer:  all my first 2 - 3 Guides look good.  I am having trouble with the last few as the Blank gets real small.  I guess I will have to practice more.

All the suggestions on the Shops for supplies are great.  I have gotten a ton of Thread cheap off eBay.  I didn't want to invest in first run stuff til I was sure that I wanted to do this. And yes - tons of Rod Building/Repairing Vid's on YouTube.  I have a few stored to review as needed.

Hope this helps a little
Steve
Miles to go.....,