need an OLD reelseat to restore/repair this old rod

Started by steelfish, March 20, 2019, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

a good friend gave me this old rod, he told me he has it since the 50's (1950), the had it on the basement since many years ago piled with tons of stuff, he stopped using it a long time ago when the reel seat falled apart.
pretty sure there were no termites or extreme humidity on the place because the wood is in really good shape, the guides show some bad corrosion but not that bad.
but I dont know which kind of reel seat this rod needs in order to be ready to fish again.

any opinions ?
any body recognize the model?

The Baja Guy

oc1

That would be a very long reel seat.  Are you sure the two pieces were originally from the same rod?
-steve

thorhammer

Alex, you will need a Perfection or Struble chrome seat. those two pieces do look a bit long- if I was gonna put them together I would shorten both equally to meet in the middle within the seat. they are chrome over brass, so should be strong enough to act as a ferrule for that size rod without drilling holes for a stent.

oldmanjoe

:)   More then likely the butt was glued in the reel seat and the fore grip  had a reel seat ferrule .
  Measure the diameter `s  and lengths   
  You can also just glue in to the reel seat like i did on this one .    I did not have the rite ferrule for this seat.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

day0ne

That's a 2 piece rod and you need a reel seat with a ferrule. Lots of them on ebay. Look for Lakeland reel seats or do like I did an find a cheap aluminum butt. I wouldn't trust a rod with both ends glued to the reel seat. That can be a major stress point. BTW, I'm currently rebuilding 2 rods just like that. If you don't mind the color, these should work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAKELAND-3166M-2-PIECE-REELSEAT-WITH-MACHINED-HOODS-LOCKING-FERRULE-2-NUTS/153394703436?hash=item23b7096c4c:g:sGYAAOSwS0JcdFb~
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

steelfish

Quote from: day0ne on March 20, 2019, 09:38:12 PM
That's a 2 piece rod and you need a reel seat with a ferrule. Lots of them on ebay. Look for Lakeland reel seats or do like I did an find a cheap aluminum butt. I wouldn't trust a rod with both ends glued to the reel seat. That can be a major stress point. BTW, I'm currently rebuilding 2 rods just like that. If you don't mind the color, these should work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAKELAND-3166M-2-PIECE-REELSEAT-WITH-MACHINED-HOODS-LOCKING-FERRULE-2-NUTS/153394703436?hash=item23b7096c4c:g:sGYAAOSwS0JcdFb~

this seems to be the one I need, not sure how it would look the vintage rod with a modern alloy realseat  ;D
I still need to do some measures before buying something.

I had the idea that it's a reelseat with a "ferrule kind of", cuz I have another old rod (no, Im not a collector), this is a true temper rod "ambassadeur" model and seems to have the same type of rear and foregrip made outta solid wood and the reelseat is ferrule to make it 2-pc rod, so pretty sure this "unknown" brand rod (from the 1st post) should have the same kind of reelseat.

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

It looks like a Montague stick, late model fiberglass trolling pole . Need more pictures .
 What do you think the length is  6 foot -6-6  
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 20, 2019, 11:55:44 PM
    It looks like a Montague stick, late mode fiberglass trolling pole . Need more pictures .
 What do you think the length is  6 foot -6-6  

thanks buddy Joe,
seems that this is a Montague rod and also looks like I have a rod with some history, so I better try to find a chrome reelseat for it

the sticker is 80% gone but the remainings are enough to match the logo silohuete figure and the colors, plus the E of montague in the upper section of the sticker, also the wrap colors and style is identical to some other Montague rods found on the web online.

1st two pics are taken from the web
then the rest are from my rod

little history of that brand in this link   https://www.montaguerodandreel.com/
The Baja Guy

steelfish

this is a guide from my rod
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

I don`t think this is the rite tip top for this pole .     That tip is usually on bamboo  pole with back to back guides .

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

sundancer

I have a few of those Rods.  Never could figure out why they were built that way..

SF

I have a few Seats that hanging around.. 

If you can get a measurement on what you need, I can send one if it is reasonably close.. You would still need the Blank-end Ferrule

Steve