Teflon Plumber's Tape on Spool?

Started by Craigen, March 21, 2019, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigen

Seigler reels site offers a tip on spooling braid.  They say to use three wraps of Teflon tape around the spool arbor then do a couple of wraps of braid cinched down tight with your favorite knot.  This is thought to prevent slipping of the braid.  But it's a lubricious tape applied to pipe threads etc.  It seems PE line would be slippery in contact with Teflon, right?  Applying such a tape without a sticky residue sounds good but it seems counter-intuitive to combine these materials to prevent slipping.  Am I missing something?

Swami805

On the surface it doesn't seem to make sense at all but maybe it works?  Wouldn't trap water so that's a plus
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Why use any tape? When properly tied a multi-turn arbor knot with a long tag (ala Jerry Brown) will not slip.

Donnyboat

I place plenty of Yamaha marine grease on the shaft, then rap painter tape around it, then tie the line on, & rap the line on very firm, to this date I have only removed the line once, & there was nice corrotion on the shaft, I had used that Senator 9/0 for trawling quite often, & the reel cops plenty of spray, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

I would bet it works....maybe try it spool about 50 yards and give it a pull....let us know what you find out....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

54bullseye

I use a couple wraps of nurses medical tape. It's free and haven't ever had a problem.  John Taylor

philaroman

I've used Plumbers Wrap self-adhering silicone -- thicker, wider version of Tommy Tape

the thin Teflon thread tape doesn't make sense, but who knows?

Midway Tommy

There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   ;)  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

fishhead69

There are several things you can use as backing over the arbor of the spool. You can use various types of tape or various types of line as a backing. Dacron works very good or monofilament as a backing.

philaroman

are we all talking about the same stuff?

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 07, 2019, 02:38:04 AM
There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   ;) 

all that describes the cushy silicone wrap -- not, the paper-thin, slick Teflon thread tape

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on June 07, 2019, 07:33:28 AM

are we all talking about the same stuff?

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 07, 2019, 02:38:04 AM
There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   ;) 

all that describes the cushy silicone wrap -- not, the paper-thin, slick Teflon thread tape

Well I've never had, or seen, the need to wrap a spool with anything other than Dacron backing, so it makes me no difference what's on the spool. I tie my line with a slip knot such that the line is tightening against the wrap direction. Never had a slip yet but I still don't see any problems with a few Teflon wraps. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 07, 2019, 04:51:44 PM
I tie my line with a slip knot such that the line is tightening against the wrap direction.
I do the same tying what amounts to a multiple clove hitch.  If the hitch is going in the right direction, the more you pull the tighter it gets.  
-steve