alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Teflon Plumber's Tape on Spool?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 19, 2019, 05:14:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teflon Plumber's Tape on Spool?  (Read 1246 times)
Craigen

« on: March 21, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »

Seigler reels site offers a tip on spooling braid.  They say to use three wraps of Teflon tape around the spool arbor then do a couple of wraps of braid cinched down tight with your favorite knot.  This is thought to prevent slipping of the braid.  But it's a lubricious tape applied to pipe threads etc.  It seems PE line would be slippery in contact with Teflon, right?  Applying such a tape without a sticky residue sounds good but it seems counter-intuitive to combine these materials to prevent slipping.  Am I missing something?
Swami805

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »

On the surface it doesn’t seem to make sense at all but maybe it works?  Wouldn’t trap water so that’s a plus
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:35:20 AM »

Why use any tape? When properly tied a multi-turn arbor knot with a long tag (ala Jerry Brown) will not slip.
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »

I place plenty of Yamaha marine grease on the shaft, then rap painter tape around it, then tie the line on, & rap the line on very firm, to this date I have only removed the line once, & there was nice corrotion on the shaft, I had used that Senator 9/0 for trawling quite often, & the reel cops plenty of spray, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

I would bet it works....maybe try it spool about 50 yards and give it a pull....let us know what you find out....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
54bullseye
Firearms Group

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

I use a couple wraps of nurses medical tape. It's free and haven't ever had a problem.  John Taylor
philaroman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »

I've used Plumbers Wrap self-adhering silicone -- thicker, wider version of Tommy Tape

the thin Teflon thread tape doesn't make sense, but who knows?
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »

There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   Wink  

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
fishhead69

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

There are several things you can use as backing over the arbor of the spool. You can use various types of tape or various types of line as a backing. Dacron works very good or monofilament as a backing.
philaroman

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:33:28 PM »

are we all talking about the same stuff?

There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   Wink 

all that describes the cushy silicone wrap -- not, the paper-thin, slick Teflon thread tape
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 06:10:01 AM »

How's about a test to see?

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »

are we all talking about the same stuff?

There is no reason why the teflon tape would be disadvantageous. It has no sticky residue, it sticks to itself when multi-wrapped, gives a nice cushion for line to bite into and will help keep water from getting to the spool causing corrosion. I see no reason to be skeptical, and, Seigler ain't no dummy.   Wink 

all that describes the cushy silicone wrap -- not, the paper-thin, slick Teflon thread tape

Well I've never had, or seen, the need to wrap a spool with anything other than Dacron backing, so it makes me no difference what's on the spool. I tie my line with a slip knot such that the line is tightening against the wrap direction. Never had a slip yet but I still don't see any problems with a few Teflon wraps. 

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »

I tie my line with a slip knot such that the line is tightening against the wrap direction.
I do the same tying what amounts to a multiple clove hitch.  If the hitch is going in the right direction, the more you pull the tighter it gets.  
-steve
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:28:21 PM by oc1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: