Drills for Stainless Steel

Started by handi2, March 21, 2019, 08:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I know it's on here somewhere but I'm lazy.

Which are the best drills for SS and where to buy?

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Keith, for SS use Cobalt drills & run them at slow speeds & firm pressure. They will stay sharper longer & can take the heat better. It's probably best to buy individual drills as you need them unless you are drilling a lot of SS.       Rudy

reel man

Ain't that the truth, Rudy. Was given 2 complete drill indexes and 90% have never been in a chuck.

Reel 224

Keith: I get Machine length bits at McMasters https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits. These bits will last.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Makule

What RowdyW says is correct.  Cobalt, and if you know it is not interrupted cuts, and you don't mind the cost, carbide.  If you let the drill slide over the SS, it will work harden and the surface will become very hard to penetrate so it's necessary to really bear down on it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 22, 2019, 02:05:04 AM
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17892.0

This link above is worth reading.

Adam knows is stuff and we're very lucky to have him here with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Not trying to play, Can you top this. But I work with Stainless Steel most every day. Those bits I buy have never failed in ss round stock deep cuts and I haven't had to dress up those bits once. MHO

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

A big thanks to everyone. When i was still working I drilled SS occasionally. I have bought the expensive multi bit sets and 60% of them have not been used. I think I will buy individual ones from McMaster. I will never need the larger bits.

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

Keith - I echo your comments - but just buy the bits you need, not a whole set - and make sure they are HSS CO (Cobalt) or Carbide.