New to servicing reels, which greases to get...

Started by SoCal Perky, March 21, 2019, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Perky

Hello,
      New to servicing fishing reels, aka newbie. I have reels from 40+ years ago that I would like to service as well as newer Penn's, Newels, Shimano's and a few Diawa's. The Penn's are for saltwater fishing, both conventional and spinning. The Shimano's are conventional/spinning freshwater reels like the Curado's and some spinners in the 500-1000 size. I also have some old Mitchell/Garcia reels and some fly fishing reels as well.

I have been reading here about the different greases/lubes and it has been a great help. Going to get some Cal's Tan Reel/Drag grease, Blue Grease and I still have some Speed-X in my drawer from a few years ago.

My question is what type of grease should I use on like the Fly Reels and the smaller freshwater reels? The smaller Shimano's and the older Mitchell's? I read about the Cal Purple Grease. Should I use that or ?? Also any advice about heading in the right direction about what to use for greases/oils would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance... 

Gobi King

1. Drag grease - cals
2. reel grease - any marine grease, yamaha is Alan's pick, I both yamaha and peak synthetic marine grease, I bought at pepboys,
3. Oil - TSI 321 cut with alcohol 25% TSI

is my list, your welcome to copy me, just send some good fishing mojo  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

akfish

You can overthink this. If you get some Corrosion-X and Cal's Drag grease you'll be covered completely. If you are doing a lot of reels, Ca's can get spendy; in which case, you can use almost any marine grease everywhere except the drag washers. There are also faster oils than Corrosion-X but I doubt very many people will not the difference in practice.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

exp2000

Quote from: SoCal Perky on March 21, 2019, 10:46:01 PM
The Shimano's are conventional/spinning freshwater reels like the Curado's and some spinners in the 500-1000 size.

Heavier greases are OK for heavy reels but for smaller spinners and the like, you're gonna need some fineness. Shimano makes a range of light greases with a high Teflon content that are useful for both drags and general lubrication. ACE2 is a good versatile light grease. Permalub is a heavier grease but still way lighter than marine grease. It is good for bearings and gear sets.

Another approach is to roll your own by using something like Corosion X fluid to alter the consistency of say CX grease. This way you can make a range of viscosities to suit various applications.

Cavets:
Never use products containing graphite such as Penn's Precision Reel Grease for reel service. These will petrify in the presence of salt water turning grease into gravel.

Reserve Cal's for drags only. It can desiccate after several years in a hot climate leaving a caked "makeup powder" residue on mechanical parts.
~

Midway Tommy

Make sure you go synthetic regardless of the brand you choose. In my opinion nothing beats Super Lube Multi Purpose. It contains PTFE, is salt water resistant, clear, easy to find, last indefinitely as long as it doesn't compromised or invaded and is a good bang for the buck. It can also be thinned where needed with synthetic oil. It's the only grease I'll put in my own reels and I've been using it for at least 15 years. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Hardy Boy

X 2 on the super lube grease. Great stuff and good price.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Reel 224

I started using Anti Seize MRO Solution 2400 - 8oz for the Stainless Steel screws in Aluminum frames, this formula in for Marine use.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Synthetic marine grease with teflon for everything except spool bearings that need to spin fast.
Baitcasters  (or any casting reel) spool bearings, level winds etc., use TSI321. For extra speed cut it with IPA - 3 or 4 parts IPA with 1 part TSI321.

Cadman

Quote from: exp2000 on March 23, 2019, 05:49:44 PM
Quote from: SoCal Perky on March 21, 2019, 10:46:01 PM
The Shimano's are conventional/spinning freshwater reels like the Curado's and some spinners in the 500-1000 size.

Heavier greases are OK for heavy reels but for smaller spinners and the like, you're gonna need some fineness. Shimano makes a range of light greases with a high Teflon content that are useful for both drags and general lubrication. ACE2 is a good versatile light grease. Permalub is a heavier grease but still way lighter than marine grease. It is good for bearings and gear sets.

Another approach is to roll your own by using something like Corosion X fluid to alter the consistency of say CX grease. This way you can make a range of viscosities to suit various applications.

Cavets:
Never use products containing graphite such as Penn's Precision Reel Grease for reel service. These will petrify in the presence of salt water turning grease into gravel.

Reserve Cal's for drags only. It can desiccate after several years in a hot climate leaving a caked "makeup powder" residue on mechanical parts.
~

I am confused, by your statement regarding Penn's Precision Reel Grease. I thought this grease comes highly recommended from this site by many members, am I wrong with my statement? I have been using it for all the freshwater reels I clean, and I have not had any problems so far. So you are saying that this is not a good grease to use or not a good grease to use for saltwater reels ? I don't see the ingredients on my jar, so you might be correct in saying that it has graphite. So I guess I should not be using this?

Reel 224

Yea: Grease is like a horse race, everybody picks his own winner. Cal's Yamaha and corrosion X TSI 321 are the most popular ones that most Reel guys use.

Alan Tani, Sal, Fred Are the go to guys around here.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

All Penn reels leaving the factory have always been coated with Penn greases. I'm sure if there were a problem with it they would change the formula. I never heard of it containing graphite. Maybe somebody is trying to spread a rumor because they don't like Penn Blue grease. In fact Penn is even coating their drags with it. Not that I would, I'll stick with Cal's or Dupont Marine grease w/ Teflon for my drags. Any grease is better then no grease & marine grease is better then regular grease. I'd say that the majority here are using Penn Blue or Yamaha Marine grease. Some marine greases are thicker & some are thinner but they all work. It's your choice which you like best or go with the majority.          Rudy

Alto Mare

Most grease recommended here is good.
As for Penn grease, I do not have anything bad to say about it, I'm actually using it more and more lately.
I've been liking how some of the reels that I serviced a year or two ago look when they come back to me.

Can't really tell which is best, unless you use a couple.

My spinners get Shimano premium grease straight out of the container...just a personal preference, I guess

I also use this stuff on bearings.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

exp2000

Quote from: Cadman on March 24, 2019, 10:32:39 PM
I am confused, by your statement regarding Penn's Precision Reel Grease. I thought this grease comes highly recommended from this site by many members, am I wrong with my statement? I have been using it for all the freshwater reels I clean, and I have not had any problems so far. So you are saying that this is not a good grease to use or not a good grease to use for saltwater reels ? I don't see the ingredients on my jar, so you might be correct in saying that it has graphite. So I guess I should not be using this?

It is mot the first time I have been challenged on this and I am sure it will not be the last.

I was considering it myself once till I was constantly confronted by this nightmare and I am not the only one to experience this:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18326.msg193907#msg193907

Scroll through this post for the awful truth.

I would never recommend it to anyone.
~

RowdyW

Maybe the grease Down Under is different then what is available in the USA. It doesn't seem to be a problem here in the USA.

exp2000

Quote from: RowdyW on March 25, 2019, 12:24:33 AM
Maybe the grease Down Under is different then what is available in the USA. It doesn't seem to be a problem here in the USA.

Yes. I wonder if it is manufactured by a different contractor. In any case there are better choices available.

I have only seen this outcome with one other grease and graphite was listed in the ingredients.

I first became aware of the problem many years ago when I experimented with graphite powder on worm drives only to watch it turn into concrete.
~