old Pflueger spinnig rod with frayed spot

Started by nagant, March 22, 2019, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

It's a white fiberglass rod i don't use much anymore. Anyway it has a few small slivers coming off between the tip and next eye.  Line gets tangled up in it is the worst part. Is there a epoxy or glue i can use then sand it out?
Brice

Swami805

I guess you could try but the blank is de-laminating, might be time to hang that one up. Any good 2 part epoxy would keep it from getting worse.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nagant

Think it started when i jabbed it into a bucket while putting it in the back of my pickup.   Thanks, was a good night fishing rod but the eye's are getting rough too. 
Brice

steelfish

Quote from: nagant on March 22, 2019, 04:02:21 AM
It's a white fiberglass rod i don't use much anymore. Anyway it has a few small slivers coming off between the tip and next eye.  Line gets tangled up in it is the worst part. Is there a epoxy or glue i can use then sand it out?

a picture will help a lot to give an advice
The Baja Guy

nagant

Embarrassing but mine, hate to guess how old it is. Not terrible bad but would like to fix it if i can. The guides are worse then i thought, if the rod lives would like to replace with braid friendly guides. would like to run ultralight braid for rock bass off of riprap thats hard on mono.
Brice

nelz

Looks like a solid glass rod, they're extremely durable. Agree that a 2 part epoxy will fix it. I've had far worse damage on a graphite composite rod that I didn't think would survive, but epoxy saved it. I tested it under a 15lb dead lift and just couldn't believe it but it held. Afterward, it was proven on a big snook!

Fishy247

I had a similar thing happen to one of my rods. I wrapped the bad section with some thread(trying to make it a little pretty lol) and coated it with epoxy. It turned out halfway decent, looks-wise, and seems to be holding up quite well.

nagant

Brice

steelfish

in the first pic it looks along the blank a white "hair", is that a scratch on the table or part of the rod delaminating?

I would take all the guides out, sand the blank with a really smooth sand paper with lots of water, maybe a 1500 or 2000 grid and the apply a coat of epoxy or if you have a way to do it, after the rod blank is sanded, clean it with some alcohol and take it to a body shop and ask the owner if they can apply a light coat of automotive clear coat to the blank the next time they will apply clear coat to a car paint job, that thing is smooth and hard as nails.

later you can add your favorite braid friendly guides
The Baja Guy

oc1

Easy enough to fix with some epoxy and a narrow binder wrap or two.... like they used to do on split bamboo.  Go easy on the epoxy because the fix is going to change the action.  The rod will not feel as snappy.  
-steve

nagant

whats a good epoxy for this? I never worked on rods before, thanks again.
Brice

nagant

Brice

Fishy247

If you're wrapping it with thread beforehand, just use any of the epoxies made for that. I like the D2 from Bullards. Just look up finish epoxy at Mudhole and you'll find several brands to choose from. In John Vadney's section under fishing rods on this site, he gives an excellent tutorial on how to apply it and get a good looking finish on your rod.

Bryan Young

This is just me. I would use the slowest curing epoxy I could find, such as the type to coat wrapping thread. I would paint epoxy as far down into the sliver and then wrap immediately with wrapping thread at several sections in maybe 10-20 wraps.  Then coat that whole section with the epoxy and slow turn until cured.  To lengthen the curing time of the epoxy, pour the epoxy on a flat piece of foil to spread out the  curing heat and the foil will also act like a heat sink. That should give you enough time to do your magic.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oldmanjoe

Do you have access to fiber glass resin  [ Auto part store - home centers - auto body shop ]
  Coat it good , than sand it down to get the action back. 
  Another possible fix is if it is a single strand , you can sand it out and make the rod a little more tippy
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare