Old Penn Fishscaler

Started by 1badf350, April 21, 2019, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

If you guys read thru the old catalogs you will see this old fishscale offered on one of the back pages. I believe they first showed up around catalog 5.
I had never given them much thought until I got one.
It was then that I tried to find a picture or mention of them somewhere online. I could not find any information nor a single picture. I figured since they were shown in the catalog for so long they would be more common. I emailed Mike C who told me they were actually hard to find.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tightlines667

Nice find!

That will be a good addition to your collection.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi Chris,  That's a great find.
             I suspect many of them were used, discarded and forgotten about, awesome find.
I was perusing the catalog you showed the fishscale, and read below about the reel bag .
Now that was quite interesting to me, because along with the 1st generation 12/0 I bought and the normal extras, came a very old reel bag.
I knew it was old, but as it had no name printed on it, I presumed it was a generic reel bag.
But the description in the caption, matches the bag to a tee and I'm thinking it could be the one of those type documented.
I don't know how common they are compared to your fishscaler as such, but the description certainly matches, from the round bottom, colour, and lining.
Obviously cant 100% confirm, I thought Penn would have labelled it for sure, but it sure looks like a match and they were advertised for 12/0's.
Thanks for posting that up Chris.

Col

Crow

I never realized that Penn made so many accessories !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Penn Chronology

QuoteI was perusing the catalog you showed the fishscale, and read below about the reel bag .
Now that was quite interesting to me, because along with the 1st generation 12/0 I bought and the normal extras, came a very old reel bag.
I knew it was old, but as it had no name printed on it, I presumed it was a generic reel bag.
But the description in the caption, matches the bag to a tee and I'm thinking it could be the one of those type documented.
I don't know how common they are compared to your fishscaler as such, but the description certainly matches, from the round bottom, colour, and lining.
Obviously cant 100% confirm, I thought Penn would have labelled it for sure, but it sure looks like a match and they were advertised for 12/0's.

Sorry to disappoint but the reel bag you have found I believe is a home made replica. The original Penn bag were identified with the Penn name.

milne

Well there you go !
Thanks Mike, couldn't really tell from the photo Chris put up, it described well,, but no chocolates !
Very well could be home made, but looks to be of a better quality than that perhaps, who knows i suppose.
I will keep it with the reel, as it looks as though it belongs.

Col