Belleville washer configuration?

Started by Noahg727, March 24, 2019, 04:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

So I'm servicing my mak 80w and I want to achieve a slower drag ramp up. I was wondering how I could do that by adjusting the Belleville washers? It's comes stock oriented ()(). I was wondering if going )()( would make it ramp up a little slower. And if that was still too fast could I just go () or )( and take 2 out without compromising anything mechanically or in terms of performance?

Thanks Noah

Bryan Young

Noa, if you want a slower ramp, order the tournament competition can from Okuma.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Noahg727

I would, but the specified 40 lbs at full (that's what I saw the tdc drag cam would achieve) wouldn't be enough. I'm using it for landbased shark fishing and sometimes we gotta really put in the breaks! Lol I think I'm going to try )()( and hope that helps a lil.

Robert Janssen

There is no difference in spring force between ()() and )()(  They are equal in force and travel.

There is usually a reason springs are arranged the way they are. In many reels, reversing their order can cause them to foul adjacent components or not function as intended.

I am not familiar enough with the internal details of the Makairas to say whether such is the case here.

Removing one pair of ()() leaves only () which reduces the amount of travel at the same force. Feasibly this would give you a gradually increasing drag followed by a sudden huge increase as the springs bottom out.

If you want a gradual increase in drag with greater force, order spring washers of the same size with an increased thickness. ()()

A slower ramp-up with retained high maximum drag could be achieved by combining sets of thicker and thinner washers, at the expense of a non-linear drag curve, ie slowly at first, followed by a stronger ramp-up.  ()()

Noahg727

Cor

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 24, 2019, 03:10:06 PM
There is no difference in spring force between ()() and )()(  They are equal in force and travel.
Thanks, now I also have a better understanding of how this is supposed to work.

There is usually a reason springs are arranged the way they are. In many reels, reversing their order can cause them to foul adjacent components or not function as intended.

I am not familiar enough with the internal details of the Makairas to say whether such is the case here.

Removing one pair of ()() leaves only () which reduces the amount of travel at the same force. Feasibly this would give you a gradually increasing drag followed by a sudden huge increase as the springs bottom out.

If you want a gradual increase in drag with greater force, order spring washers of the same size with an increased thickness. ()()

A slower ramp-up with retained high maximum drag could be achieved by combining sets of thicker and thinner washers, at the expense of a non-linear drag curve, ie slowly at first, followed by a stronger ramp-up.  ()()
Thanks, now I also understand how this is supposed to work!
Cornelis